Options for replacing this valve?

siphon with 1/4" plastic tube.

Don't be the one that shuts the city water valve that feeds the water to your house. My plumber refused because the potential for trouble is always there---and was he right! City came down and the long shaft to the valve broke off. They had to dig up the street down to the valve, replace the shut off handle. Fill it all in and then had to re-hot top the dug up section. All in all--let a plumber do it. MLD
It's a cheap (junk) gate valve with a snapped stem, you were lucky it lasted that long. Call a real plumber and have it replaced with a full port ball valve. From what I've read here I wouldn't suggest doing it yourself. Your other option is to move.
kenny b
On Jul 15, 5:15 am, snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

Don't you just love it when DIYers get in on the act? Aren't they soooo cute?

You already have loads of input, mostly good.
Definitely get the water company to shut the street valve.
What I would add is to hacksaw the upper elbow thru its middle so that end is free, then unsolder the bottom end of the valve. The heat will boil the water out (careful of boiling spatters). Then unsolder the rest of the elbow, clean both ends, and sweat a new valve and elbow into place. You may need to add a short bit of pipe between the valve and elbow (if the new valve is smaller) or cut a bit off the top of the vertical pipe (if the new valve is larger).
--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353