Opinions please - best exterior paint for old house

This group is always so helpful with suggestions I thought I'd get your recommendations on exterior paint. My house is about 200 years old and I have a mixture of old, scraped wood, and large sections of brand new (raw wood) clapboards. Fifteen years ago I painted the house with one coat of oil-based primer, and one coat of VERY expensive oil-based paint. Although expensive, it went on great, covered like a dream, and lasted for ten years. Unfortunately, I can't remember the brand name, and the only store in town which sold it has closed.
Ten years ago I hired somene (first mistake, not doing it myself) to scrape and paint. He prepped it ok, but then he used exterior latex primer and exterior latex paint, one coat each. He used a cheapo house brand from some big box store (second mistake, letting someone else choose the paint) and it started peeling and fading within two years.
So...I'm finished with the prep on the old stuff, and the new sections are almost in, so I need to paint. I considered stain, but then I'd have to scrape all the old stuff down to raw wood, and most of the old stuff really doesn't need that, and it would take me forever.
So, what do you recommend? I've seen some research touting "California" paint, and one report saying it's the worst. Some old reports recommend Sherwin Williams, but new reports say no. I really wish I could remember the name of the oil-based stuff I used, but it's been 15 years and paint formulas change.
Thanks for any recommendations.
snipped-for-privacy@fashionsintime.com wrote:

Something doesn't add up here. You say the oil based paint that went on 15 years ago lasted 10 years and then that you had it scraped and painted 10 years ago?

Stain is great for wood that has natural grain and character. A house that has been painted for 200 years doesn't fit that description and likely wouldn't look good even if you did strip the old stuff off, which as you noted is a long and expensive project.

I'd go to Consumer Reports website. They do actual testing, which may not be perfect but I think it has validity, is consistent and is based more on fact than personal opinion.

lasted 10 years. I really should proof-read my posts!

Already did, but I'm a huge fan of personal recommendations, both good and bad, from people who have used the product themselves.
snipped-for-privacy@fashionsintime.com wrote:

Then how do you know it was the only one??? (Sorry, couldn't help myself... :) )

IMO, as you've alluded to, the prep is far more significant than the paint itself, given a good quality paint and imo there's not a tremendous difference between manufacturers' as long as you're comparing similarly priced products.
One thing is quite different since 10-15 years ago, and that is that it is quite difficult to actually find oil-based topcoat paints these days owing to (apparently) EPA rules. I'd go w/ an oil-based primer and a good latex enamel topcoat.
Put the "lifetime" Sherwin-Williams on the church a few years ago after the big hail--it's certainly holding up so far, but is also quite pricey. I didn't go quite so expensive on the barn restoration project and used the top-line Behr oil-based primer and latex topcoat since the local S-W folks (the only independent paint dealer in town) didn't seem to want to come off straight retail even for 80 gal primer and 120 gal topcoat. :( Although owing the size we sprayed rather than brushed, it went on and covered well and is holding up well (again, after three years so is only beginning).
I repainted my trim using Benjamin Moore. That lasted only about 7 years. The current job used Sears "best" and it is still fine after at least 5 years. The current coat is a semi-gloss alkyd enamel while the first was a flat white latex. [editorial comment: I find everything about Sears really poor these days. So, I think you will be lucky to get good paint out of them!] Good luck.
snipped-for-privacy@fashionsintime.com wrote:

I've painted my shed with Behr Exterior (although for the life of me, I can't tell you which version). It has held up well for 4 years. Yeah, not a real test yet I know but it has held up in the extremely strong sun here and recently against a lot of rain. If I remember, CR seems to like the Behr as well although I usually take their ratings with a grain of salt. Cheers, cc
On 19 Aug 2006 07:34:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@fashionsintime.com wrote:

Have you checked Consumer's Reports? They do periodic testings for paint. Strange that the ratings depend on the color selected. Lots of folks recommend Benjamin Moore. The prep work is very important. Red likes to fade more than other colors.
snipped-for-privacy@fashionsintime.com wrote:

I can second that opinion. SW used to have a really great paint that lasted a long time, but their newer line of paint just isn't holding up. Can't say if it's just them or gov't regs but I'm changing brands next time I paint.
Bob S.
I used Sherwin-Williams Duration (about $45/gal.) It's supposed to be their best paint. CS hates it, I think. 8 years, one coat. Was sprayed. No peeling yet.