Opinions on Goettl Air Conditioners?

A friend is considering buying a home in the Phoenix that has a 4 year old Goettl air conditioner installed. From having been in the house on a very hot day, it seems to do a good cooling job. The unit is a 4 ton, 13 seer, roof mounted.
I'm not really familiar the the brand. Can anyone offer experience or opinions on this?
TIA

On 7/13/2010 12:45 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Uh, It's the name of a service company.
http://www.goettl.com /
TDD

Sadly, this is happening more and more. Furnace makers are getting their pop-in logos replaced by the installing dealer, who simply has a similar plastic logo made-up. Without furnace or a/c equiptment documentation, you'll be lucky to ever figure out who made the dumb thing. Actually I've noticed this so much on Goodman brand garbage lately that I think they must offering to make them up for the dealers themselves. Go figure.........................
Lefty

Should be pretty easy to find the manufacturer. Pretty much everything you come across has electronics in it these days. Look for the FCC ID and go to fcc.gov to look it up. If not, it's probably UL listed; same deal.

Should be pretty easy to find the manufacturer. Pretty much everything you come across has electronics in it these days. Look for the FCC ID and go to fcc.gov to look it up. If not, it's probably UL listed; same deal.
Furnace, condenser and heat pump electronics are usually made by a third party manufacturer, such as Honeywell, White-Rodgers, or others. Actually, you'd be surprised how much builder-grade equiptment was made entirely by sub-contract shops like ICP.
Lefty
On 7/13/2010 4:38 PM, keith wrote:
message

Likely that won't yield much since it will only tell you who the gypsy outfit who builds nameless units bought the various boards from.

message
The UL/CSA/ETL listing should still work. Of course it could *really* be a fly-by-night outfit and not listed, but it's worth a try.

The component that matters most is... the compressor. Try and figure out who made that. If it was US made, it was probably one of only a handful of companies. Of course, it could be an Asian import too.
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 00:06:45 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@malch.com (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:

Sure, but the object was to figure out who's AC unit it was. Other documentation can usually be found once this is known.
On 7/13/2010 2:14 PM, Lefty wrote:

The label with the model number and serial will have the manufacturers name on it. the Goettl website lists several brands of equipment that they sell and install.
TDD
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 15:14:18 -0400, "Lefty"

What's wrong with Goodman stuff?
On Mon 12 Jul 2010 10:45:39p, Wayne Boatwright told us...

Following up to my own post... Thanks to all who replied.
I haven't had a chance to look further since it isn't my house or even my friend's house (yet).
I do know that Goettl "branded" equipment has been in the Phoenix for decades.

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I've lived in Arizona all my life, and Goettl used to be the #1 brand of residential central A/C, not just here but for the whole US. They manufactured their own units, previously in the eastern part of the Phoenix area, more recently west of Phoenix, near Luke Air Force Base. Mechanics said they were well designed and built and easy to work on, and I still see some units that must be from the early 1980s (fan on top, wire cage sticks up a few inches). However I don't know if Goettl still manufacturers A/C, at least residential A/C. Also Goettl seems to be the only large residential A/C contractor that isn't high pressure, high priced, or shifty, unlike some others with A + ratings from the Better Business Bureau. I don't have a Goettl.
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 22:21:52 -0700 (PDT), "larry moe 'n curly"

I have a rental with a Goettl on it from 1971. In 39 years it's only needed two condenser fan motors and one crankcase heater. Not very energy efficient by today's standards though.
On Wed 14 Jul 2010 10:21:52p, larry moe 'n curly told us...

I've never seen or heard of Goettl A/C units until I moved to Arizona. I have lived in Ohio, Missouri, Tennessee, New York, and Mississippi. The most common brands in those areas are Trane, York, and Carrier.
Having said that, after I posted my original question, a long time resident of Arizona told me many of the things you did, except for Goettl's presence in other parts of the US. These people had a Goettl for over 30 years and just replaced it with another Goettl last year.
Thanks for your insight.

Several have hit the nail on the head-- Goettl are made in Phoenix and designed for Phoenix. They have a reputation for being nearly bulletproof, and have been for decades-- hardly a fly by night outfit. They were even mentioned in a "Modern Marvels" episode some time back. Larry
larry moe 'n curly wrote: ...

Maybe in AZ and some of the near SW, but certainly not in "the whole US". As another poster said, I've been in several parts of the US over 60-some years and never heard of them before seeing the name in the subject of this thread.