opinions on electrical smart boxes

Anyone used these boxes before?

Not much more expensive than the blue old work boxes and they have to be better than using madison bars.

Is this something my local supply house would have or do I need to order them online?

Reply to
Limp Arbor

These things are really tough, with a lot of interior room. The only drawback is that the box is physically very large, so if you cut a hole that's even slightly larger than the box, a standard wall plate won't cover it. I wouldn't waste my time with the single gang variety, but if you want a large, really strong and durable multi-gang box, they're great.

Reply to
RBM

Hi, What is fire rating on this stuffs? I am stil old fashioned, sticking with metal boxes.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I've never seen them before. I like them!

I like the idea they are screwed in. You could easily readjust one or perhaps remove it later, make the opening larger, and install another.

(So it looks.)

Also sometimes the boxes are not installed just right to line up with the drywall, so looks like you could fix that with these boxes...

Reply to
Bill

I generally like to use steel boxes, but these are probably two or three times as thick as a standard plastic box, making them very rigid. I don't know their fire rating but I would believe they'd be equal to steel. I especially like using them in three and four gang. Steel boxes screwed together to make multiple gangs, need support or they can break apart. Standard multi gang plastic boxes are so flimsy, they tend to twist making them hard to position flush with the drywall. These things are rigid like steel, and have the interior space of plastic

Reply to
RBM

Where do you buy them?

Reply to
mcp6453

never seen them but they look like a good product.

Reply to
Tony

I get them from my local electrical supply, in Mt. Kisco, NY

Reply to
RBM