Opinions: Lumber Lok Tri-Vise

Has anybody tried this product? It's $20 at my local Lowes.
Looks like you just stick your board into the appropriate slot, put a foot on it, and cut.
I handled one at Lowes and it seems sturdy enough.
Might be awkward to hold a speed square on the board while trying to stand on it though.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_201222-89771-LLL001_?PL=1&productId116981
Add pictures here
✖

Looked like a solution looking for a problem, to me.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 22, 12:07 am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Why do you say that?
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 07:24:34 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Probably because, like for me, plain sawhorses work just as well, and do a lot of other things too. Who has a problem sawing a board on a sawhorse? Or even a board laid on a couple bricks? Looks real stupid to me, using a saw with one leg up bracing the work.
--Vic
Add pictures here
✖

Let me add-- If there is more than 1 or 2 cuts to be made, a pair of sawhorse will be handy. I *hate* to bend over to do anything. [used to be my back-- then it was a hiatal hernia, now it is just my eyes-- I can't see well in the 2-4' range]
If there is only one or two cuts-- then I'll take one knee down and use it for a prop.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 11:09:46 -0600, Vic Smith
BTW, these work fine. http://tinyurl.com/767zkwq Got mine somewhere else, can't remember where. Real handy for small, quick jobs. Just hang them folded on a wall.
Have a couple of these too, and they're better for heavy work. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
They have Grizzlies on the same site for half the cost. I didn't pay more than 5 bucks a set. They make a nice horse, with top laid flat. Small tools won't fall off. They slap together in a minute or two once you've made the cuts. And you decide horse height/ length when you cut. Mine are long and high.
Used to hang them in the garage rafters, but gave up on that after my head hit them too many times. Now I break them down after use, hang the brackets in a bag on a nail, 2x4 pieces stacked under.
--Vic
Add pictures here
✖

Because a couple of saw horses work just fine. I have ten or so of the plastic folding kind. They work really well for this sort of thing.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 22, 1:33 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I guess it all depends on what you're doing. Just this morning I made a small PT platform for a neighbor's garbage cans. 3 cuts on 5/4 decking and 5 cuts on 2 x4's.
I used my plastic saw horses, but they were something extra to cary down the block - and back. I can see how one of those devices would have worked just fine and could have been carried along with my saw and drill, saving a trip in both directions.
Point being, for $10 it might not be a bad idea when you have a small jobs with just a couple of cuts.
BTW I asked the same question over in rec.woodworking and got the same mixed response.
One guy said he uses one mostly for landscaping timbers. I quote "It's useful enough that it stays at the front of the hanging tools. "
In the video below, the guy uses the device while building a deck. Advantage appears to be that he can prop his wood anywhere he happens to be cutting instead of having to go to where the saw horses are. Just grab and cut. I can see advantages...but I'm not running right out to buy one. ;-)
This video also shows that they make one for plumbers and electricians too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdjLCAnWrZ8

Add pictures here
✖

I'd spend more time finding the stupid thing than hauling out the saw horses. I have enough (from when I was refinishing all the doors in my previous house) to have scattered in all the areas I might need them.

I'd rather keep all the tools in one spot when I'm doing that sort of work. In fact, I'd be using a SCMS, so this thing would just get in the way. ;-)

I've seen them. More solutions looking for problems.
Add pictures here
✖

A couple years ago I put up about 180' feet of crown. Didn't cope anything, all mitered corner joints. No special fixtures needed. Just a circ saw that could miter. Personally I think mitered looks better than coped. I just don't get why people still cope these, or use a coping or jigsaw to cut. Old-timer syndrome, I suspect. But if that's how they want to do it, I won't argue with them.
Even Silva from this old house coped the inside corner in this vid. http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20056482,00.html Completely unnecessary. Only had to reverse the crown ends on the same saw!
This guy has it right. http://www.howcast.com/videos/1886-How-To-Cut-Crown-Molding
I didn't need that stop he built, just held the crown against the fence, like Silva did.
--Vic
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/21/2012 10:42 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

What a handy gadget, I may add it to my collection. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
✖

Yep. One does shouldn't have to stand on it, wrap a small concrete block or couple of bricks in old carpet and set it on the board.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/22/2012 10:03 AM, Harry K wrote:

The carpenters I know will often tie the safety guard back on a circular saw because they're interested in getting things done quickly. It would be interesting to see what builders would do with such a gadget. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
✖