opening in brick wall

I would like to install a door through a wall made of brick with cinder block backing. What is the best way to cut through for the opening? How do I install a support at the top so the brick/block structure remains stable?

Reply to
Mftriola

As you note, the head of the opening must have a lintel installed. The CMU (block) needs a lintel and the brick needs a lintel. In addition, the opening must be flashed and weep holes added. The jambs should be reinforced to take the loads from each lintel.

I suggest you read the Tech Notes section of the BIA web site carefully.

Tom Baker

Reply to
Tom Baker

You need an expert mason that has a large saw with a blade that costs $300. Look in the yellow pages for a mason who advertises that he specializes in repairs. Needs a steel lentil, flashing and if you aren't careful the wall could come down as you work. Not for a weekend warrier.

Reply to
Art