Opened laptop battery to replace lithium ion cells (Lenovo X61 tablet PC) -- Where do I get replacement battery cells?

Dear Joe I'd like Answers to the same Problem!

Reply to
Timsta

might want to ask over at candlepowerforums and post pics there.

so there's two different types of cells in there? Normally I would just expect to see a bank of 18650s... I'm guessing that that is actually

4500 mAh not Ah?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Timsta,

I'm sure JoeSchmoe would be glad to help but I don't think he spends much time here anymore. In fact we haven't seen him since he posted his original message... OVER THREE FRIGGIN' YEARS AGO!

Pay attention.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

But Mr T apparently has the same problem. When I did a similar thing with my Ni Cad driver/drill battery pack I found the batteries on Ebay. Also one would think googling rebuilding Lenovo battery pack, etc might produce results.

Reply to
trader4

NiCds are usually standard cells packaged in a proprietary housing. LiIon cells themselves are usually proprietary. It's dangerous replacing them with cells that aren't identical to the originals. Just buy the whole assembly. They're usually available from aftermarket sources for about a third of what Lenovo wants. Sometimes there are issues with the laptop not recognizing the chip in the battery but a reputable source will help.

Reply to
krw

Executive summary...GIVE IT UP.

Details... While getting the cells, be sure to pick up a battery tab welder. Yes, you can buy tabbed cells, but the fit is usually too tight to accommodate a solder joint at the tabs. Anybody recommending you solder directly to the cells probably races motorcycles drunk and has unprotected sex with $2 hookers.

Wear face protection. NOT GOGGLES. Wear a full-face helmet with windshield. Exploding cells can knock goggles right off...ask me how I know.

You could do this with NiCd cells. Lithium, not so much. The protection chip is designed to thwart your efforts. I've NEVER been able to make lithium pack work correctly. Some dells, will power the computer, but the battery gauge doesn't work and it gets rather warm on charge. I've NEVER been able to get an IBM pack to wake up. There's a program available to reprogram the chip. IF it has a program for your pack. IF you want to build a hardware interface and solder wires onto the pack. They claim to be able to do it. The program is priced for industrial users, way above what's cost effective for a few rebuilds.

Quality cells will cost about as much a new aftermarket pack. I've bought a few cells of various types of ebay. They were mostly crap. You have no way of telling ahead of time.

I tried to get a quote from a local battery store. They wanted to send the pack out of state to see if the guru could actually do that one. Was gonna cost $20/cell plus whatever the guru added on for the rebuild.

Rebuilding a computer battery pack is WAY more complicated than replacing the cells in your dust-buster.

Did I mention, give it up?

Reply to
mike

I am glad you correted him because car battery is around 600 AMP/hour

Reply to
Tony944

My dear Sr. this is special battery it is not NiCad it is lithium Iron cell

3.6 V. each making battery 14.4 volt the best you can do purchase one from reputable dealer don't screw around it may cost you lot more.
Reply to
Tony944

You sure about that?

Reply to
mike

A big car battery is about a tenth of that. CCA is a measure of the current available into the starter at some (low) temperature. It is

*NOT* amp-hours.
Reply to
krw

Hi. I realize that this is an old thread but I just was looking for the same answer you were and wanted to share. That type of li-ion (rectangular with a hard metal case) is a prismatic cell.

I hope you found this out some time ago but if not here you go.

Reply to
wrightp1nku