Open window with propane heater, how much?

When my mother had a power failure, but wanted to stay in her apartment until the power company fixed things, I bought a propane heater. The instructions said to open the window, but didn't really say how much.
It seemed like she'd end up colder with the heater than without it.
How much did the window have to be open?
Is it ever worth using a propane heater indoors in the winter?
George said:

Propane can give you headaches from the fumes... best to crack a window open an inch and turn on the bathroom vent fan or the shove hood fan if it vents outside. This type of heater uses oxygen just as a forced air gas furnace does so fresh air intake is neccessary. The fan(s) exhausting will circulate air in/out. Use your nose.. if you can smell the heater then you need more fresh air.
Cheers

Power out. No electricity.

It probably would have been good then, if a crack is enough and even my mother didn't smell anything (my nose is not very good) but I wasn't sure, so we were very much more inconvenienced.
Maybe they'll be some future situation.
Thanks