Open Neutral??

Calling electrical gurus............the tester reads one green light and 2 not lit which it says means open neutral. Can someone tell me what that means and what conditions I need to look for to correct the problem. If it means the neutral is not connected I don't understand how the circuit would have power. I added a branch line using Romex. I connected the romex in the existing metal box with the existing BX cable if that adds any useful info. The BX cable is connected directly to the main panel. I don't know if this condition existed before I added the branch receptacle. Thanks for you usual good support. John
Your cable has three wires in it: Black, which is hot, White, which is neutral, and bare, which is ground. Your tester is telling you that it doesn't detect a neutral. Check your neutral connects

Thanks for the input. I still don't understand how the circuit can have power in it if the neutral is not connected. Is there a tutorial somewhere anyone might know of that could explain these basics. Thanks again. Best to all in the new year.

2
in
useful
know
John, you can have"power" which is to say the hot leg is live, but to complete the circuit you need to have a continuous neutral as well. The ground wire and the neutral essentially go to the same place, so you will get a reading using it

and
that
If
Thanks
Double check with a multimeter.
JohnF wrote:

and 2

that
If it

would
romex in

useful
know
Thanks for

If real loads like lamps work, then you're right, the hot and neutral must both be basically ok.
If there's really no neutral then I agree that I don't understand how the tester "has power". Might it use the ground? Hmmm.
Anyhow, be aware that these LED testers can show random results if anything is plugged in to any other socket on the same circuit. Might this be the case?
Chip C Toronto

Those little LED testers are nothing more than three LED and series dropping resister pairs, connected between hot&ground, hot&neutral, and ground&neutral.
If your neutral wire is out, only the hot&ground light will go on.
It's supposed to have hot&ground and hot&neutral, but not neutral&ground come on.
If the neutral&ground comes on, your hot and neutral are probably reversed.
[Reversing hot and ground takes some doing.]

Only in extremely unusual circumstances that _also_ mean something's wrong with the circuit.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Except for a multiwire circuit, which I presume this is not if you installed it, you must have a neutral for a circuit. But do you have a circuit? You did not say if the outlet works properly. Why were you testing it?