OOps. Mythbusters bust more than they wanted.

Page 1 of 2
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/07/BA1D1M99V5.DTL
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Can't wait for the episode to air ...
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote the following:

They were testing various things to be shot from the cannon. I don't know what myth they were trying to bust, but if they air the show at all, I would think they wouldn't show that part.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

They would be foolish not to, that one will bring in high ratings.
--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,

The news said they said they would n't air it, but I t thnk not airing it is silly. No one died, no one got hurt, it's not a tragedy. No one things they did it on purpose, so what do they have to be ashamed of? It may not bust a myth but it makes clearer than most things how much damage a cannonball can do. It might give people an idea of how violent war was.
I'll bet that range is usuually used for bullets, made of lead, that deform and don't rciochet nearly as much. That much of the time just go into the dirt hill

This last sentence is only one reason it's good to know what a flying cannonaball is like.
Think aobut it. It went in through the front door, went all the way through the house and out a rear wall. I'd hate to standing in the hall when it went through.

So this happened at 4:15 pm.

Umm, an entire family sleeping at 4:15 pm?
Your American ways are strange to us ...

The web page with the story is showing pictures of the hole in the wall of the house caused by the cannon ball.
There is also a picture of a fist-sized hole in the busted rear window of a car on that web page. On first glance, I thought that it was part of the story - that this was the vehicle that got hit by the cannon ball.
Upon further investigation, the picture of the busted car window with a hole in it was about a totally different story.
A gun-shot story.
Yes, of course, this is the USA. Silly me...
On 12/7/2011 5:21 PM, Home Guy wrote:

I suppose the Canuck Armed Forces are equipped with Nerf Guns? ^_^
TDD
On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 20:58:07 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Canuck Armed Forces? LOL!
On 12/7/2011 5:14 PM, Home Guy wrote:

I may nap in the afternoon, "Hey! You kids, get off my lawn!" ^_^
TDD
On 12/07/11 6:14 PM, Home Guy wrote:

"where a man, woman and child slept through it all - only awakening because of plaster dust"
Where a man and woman were enjoying a few moments of passionate loving making while their newborn slept, only getting out of bed when they had satisfied their lust.
On 12/7/2011 9:46 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Perhaps they thought all the noise was due to the fireworks of lovemaking? ^_^
TDD

I find the whole story dubious. If it wasn't on a 'straight arrow' newspaper source I'd call it fake. That cannon ball went way too far and through too many things. Gotta take it for real I guess. Does seem odd that ithasn't been mentioned on any other media though.
Harry K
On 12/07/11 11:21 PM, Harry K wrote:

Have you seen some of the over the top rigs that Mythbusters set up to see what it would take to make the "myth" happen?
If this was one of their "let's see what it would take" set ups, it's very possible that the cannon bowl could have acted in ways that would be considered outside the range of normal cannon ball behavior.
Did you see the one where they hooked a bunch of rockets to a snow plow blade and sent it down a track at 500 MPH to see if they could split a car in half? They were extremely successful.

Was that, splitting the car in half, a possible myth? I mean, did the ancient Greeks, or the ancient Americans, or even the guys who hang out at the stock car track claim this could be done.

I can't say that I ever _heard_ it was a myth but they started the episode _saying_ it was.
Harry K

There have been at least 2 different Snow Plow realted myths tested:
Can a Snow Plow flip a car by going by at high speed? Can a Snow Plow split a car in half during a head on collision?
For the Split myth, check out the link below.
"The Mythbusters work to replicate the results of the snowplow split myth. The solution involves 75,000 pounds of thrust, speeds of 500 mph and a large solid steel blade. In other words, just another day."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0xQTCsDQ8E

Yah I can just see those rocket-powered 75,500 pounds of thrust snowplows clearing the interstates Last I heard, They can do 4 lanes at once with that plow because of all the turbulence to the sides and the heat left behind

Curves might be a minor issue.