OOps. Mythbusters bust more than they wanted.

willshak wrote in news:zbGdnQQ9Eodl7ELTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

Can't wait for the episode to air ...

Reply to
Han

Han wrote the following:

They were testing various things to be shot from the cannon. I don't know what myth they were trying to bust, but if they air the show at all, I would think they wouldn't show that part.

Reply to
willshak

They would be foolish not to, that one will bring in high ratings.

Reply to
G. Morgan

So this happened at 4:15 pm.

Umm, an entire family sleeping at 4:15 pm?

Your American ways are strange to us ...

Reply to
Home Guy

The web page with the story is showing pictures of the hole in the wall of the house caused by the cannon ball.

There is also a picture of a fist-sized hole in the busted rear window of a car on that web page. On first glance, I thought that it was part of the story - that this was the vehicle that got hit by the cannon ball.

Upon further investigation, the picture of the busted car window with a hole in it was about a totally different story.

A gun-shot story.

Yes, of course, this is the USA. Silly me...

Reply to
Home Guy

I may nap in the afternoon, "Hey! You kids, get off my lawn!" ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I suppose the Canuck Armed Forces are equipped with Nerf Guns? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

"where a man, woman and child slept through it all - only awakening because of plaster dust"

Where a man and woman were enjoying a few moments of passionate loving making while their newborn slept, only getting out of bed when they had satisfied their lust.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Canuck Armed Forces? LOL!

Reply to
krw

Perhaps they thought all the noise was due to the fireworks of lovemaking? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I find the whole story dubious. If it wasn't on a 'straight arrow' newspaper source I'd call it fake. That cannon ball went way too far and through too many things. Gotta take it for real I guess. Does seem odd that ithasn't been mentioned on any other media though.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Coming from someone that wants to repair a single pane window with a windshield stone chip repair kit. And you live where????

Reply to
Ron

The news said they said they would n't air it, but I t thnk not airing it is silly. No one died, no one got hurt, it's not a tragedy. No one things they did it on purpose, so what do they have to be ashamed of? It may not bust a myth but it makes clearer than most things how much damage a cannonball can do. It might give people an idea of how violent war was.

I'll bet that range is usuually used for bullets, made of lead, that deform and don't rciochet nearly as much. That much of the time just go into the dirt hill

Reply to
micky

This last sentence is only one reason it's good to know what a flying cannonaball is like.

Think aobut it. It went in through the front door, went all the way through the house and out a rear wall. I'd hate to standing in the hall when it went through.

Reply to
micky

Have you seen some of the over the top rigs that Mythbusters set up to see what it would take to make the "myth" happen?

If this was one of their "let's see what it would take" set ups, it's very possible that the cannon bowl could have acted in ways that would be considered outside the range of normal cannon ball behavior.

Did you see the one where they hooked a bunch of rockets to a snow plow blade and sent it down a track at 500 MPH to see if they could split a car in half? They were extremely successful.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Was that, splitting the car in half, a possible myth? I mean, did the ancient Greeks, or the ancient Americans, or even the guys who hang out at the stock car track claim this could be done.

Reply to
micky

That's the best you can do?

To equate "strange" with the application of automotive glass repair products to residential windows?

That's pretty lame...

Just the most economically, socially and politically stable country in the world.

Reply to
Home Guy

I can't say that I ever _heard_ it was a myth but they started the episode _saying_ it was.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

There have been at least 2 different Snow Plow realted myths tested:

Can a Snow Plow flip a car by going by at high speed? Can a Snow Plow split a car in half during a head on collision?

For the Split myth, check out the link below.

"The Mythbusters work to replicate the results of the snowplow split myth. The solution involves 75,000 pounds of thrust, speeds of 500 mph and a large solid steel blade. In other words, just another day."

DerbyDad03