One-way screw removal

Hello,
Tried to install a secuirty screen door for a friend today and the doorway was not true, plus there are a couple other problems... like the house has vinyl siding and the molding for this butts up against where the frame for the door has to be installed, making it too tight to shut the door into the frame. I'll probably have to remove the vinyl side molding, and trim the panels back, then reinstall the molding... and put in the door frame.
Problem is, I have (1) one-way screw already installed in the frmae that I need to get out. Do I have to grind the head off, or is there some special tool I can buy to remove the screw?
Thanks for any help! Kenny
snipped-for-privacy@no.spam.com wrote:

i would try to cut a groove into the head of the screw to accept a flat blade screwdriver.. if its really big, how about a pair of vicegrips??? and then get some more one way screws or some larger bolts to go right through the whole door frame.......

Thanks for the suggestion. In looking online I also found a bit that supposedly removes one-way screws: http://www.toolrealm.com/s/Screwdriver_Bits/index8.htm I called Home Depot and they say they carry these too. Guess I'll try that out first.
Kenny

Yow! Kenny, I looked at the link, and for the price they want ($25 - $30) for the tool, I'd spend just a bit more and buy a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel, slice a new big slot in the head of the one-way screw, back it out with your big screwdriver, and then you're left with a new, useful tool rather than something you'd probably not use again.
- Spellcheck
Kenny ( snipped-for-privacy@no.spam.com) kindly wrote:

Er, uh for anyone still interested in the original question, I'm answering my own post here cause I bought a similar tool to the one seen at this link (got it at Home Depot, made by isometric, NOT by LARA [as seen in the link]) but it sucked. I couldn't get it to work at all. Has an allen wrench adjustment, then you're supposed to be able to use a good drill and apply lots of pressure and back it out, but the thing wouldn't grip at all. Upon returning the bit the guy said he hates selling them because almost no one can get them to work -- that they have to be "set just right."
IAC I ended up having to ground off the head. Thanks for everyone's help.
Kenny
snipped-for-privacy@no.spam.com wrote:

thats why i say cut a new head in the screw and use a screw driver to move it out.....
An on topic reply? Wow, that's exceptional. Glad to know you did get the job done right.
--

Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated

Sears also sells a gadget that's supposed to cut into a stripped out head and back out the screw. Don't know how good it is, but I have seen the ads.
wayne wrote:

Vice grips work well. We just took down my brothers "security" door for a new one Two guys with vice grips had the hole thing down in under 5 minutes. Neither of us is a tradesman any more. Hence the quotes on security...
Vise grips, not vice grips.
Depends on whether one is writing English or the US approximation thereto.
MB
On 01/06/04 09:38 am Craven Morehead put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

No it doesn't.
See a respected US publication concerning the US/British use of vise/vice:
http://www.bartleby.com/68/63/6363.html
MB
On 01/06/04 11:31 am Craven Morehead put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:<br>

yeah well what does this site say! http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/index.jhtml ;jsessionid=IXEYCI30TZV D0CQHUB2CGWQKA4QGIIY4?_requestid64
Minnie Bannister wrote:

Does that publication have anything referenceing changing the spelling of a brand name in it? Don't think it does...
Minnie Bannister wrote:

Doesn't make a bit of difference... Since it it actually a brand name, it would remain the same across both variations.
Vise-Grip is correct as the trademarked name of the family of tools. To my surprise though when I blew the dust of my OED I found that it doesn't even define vise as a noun. Vice is the only spelling for the noun pertaining to the generic tool.
RB
Minnie Bannister wrote:

Vice grips could really hurt.
--