One Thing That Many Homeowners And Apartment Dwellers May Have

It's pets, many of us own them or have been adopted by them. Sandy, my highly trained attack Rotthuahua is curled up in my lap as I type this. Sandy is actually a Red Deer Head Chihuahua who believes she's a Rottweiler and tries her best to make any stranger knocking at the door believe it too. Anyway, I came across some important information that many of those with pets really need to know and may never have given any thought to. A Salmonella outbreak was traced back to a local meat supply company that had an employee who owned an iguana. The guy had no idea that his pet could endanger so many people by contaminating the food supply if wasn't very careful how he handled raw meat. Comforting dying pets through their last days turned out to be dangerous for animal owners who wound up with life-threatening infections from the close contact, a new report finds. The federal Food and Drug Administration earlier this year warned consumers about the dangers of xylitol poisoning in dogs and ferrets from candy sweetened with the sugar substitute. Most folks know not to give chocolate to their dogs but the dangers of xylitol was a new one for me. If you're like me, you may use treats as a training aid for your pet or just because you're a nice guy. Chicken jerky dog treats imported from China have been turning up tainted with dangerous toxins. I buy treats for the canine residents of my home and I will start looking for the source of the treats before I buy any more. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Bizarre title...but thanks! *L*

Reply to
Bob_Villa

Turtles also harbor salmonella.....we didn't know that when I was a kid and we kept the turtle on the kitchen counter :o) Of course, in those days we probably didn't trade creatures and germs so much.

When I look for CHEAP answers to alga problem in my koi pond, one offering is some kind of giant Japanese snail....just what we need to turn loose into the environment. Dang Koi just finished spawning again, mucking up the water and adding to an over-populated pond. A huge snapping bullfrog has moved in and likes to hang in the water, watching me as I watch him. He was hanging onto a plant in the water at edge of pond the other morning, peering at me with his big black eyes, as usual......he normally hightails it when he sees me move, and I waved my hand at him but he didn't budge. Being ever so curious, I picked up a twig and poked at him with it....he snapped at the twig with every poke :o) He has probably been dining on Koi fry, but he missed at least four of them.....built a cage for the babies, but they escaped. They are small enough they have algae and little spaces to hide in, and seem pretty lively. I've been looking at Koi recipes to cure the overpopulation, but really can't go there. Haven't the heart to smack them on the head, even if I was fast enough to catch them. What to do.....?

Reply to
Norminn