ONE SWITCH DOESN'T CLICK

My masterbedroom light and outlet plugs doesn't work. I went to the circuit breaker panel and switch all the switches off and waited five minutes. I switch them all back on but my masterbedroom switch didn't have a click to it when I tried to switch it to on. What is it that I could do? It will cost to much money for me to hire a electric man. Also I need to install fans 4 fans in the house, and I want to do them myself. What steps to take to install my fans?
My email address is snipped-for-privacy@Unisys.com
Lawanna
Lawanna wrote:

Hi, First you need a tester(simple neon light test probe or multi-meter) to check out the breaker. If it turns out bad, then you'll have to replace it with same kind)
The handles of some circuit breakers must be pushed hard to the off position to reset them internally, then they will click into the on position. Your problem may not be at the breaker panel as well. Sometimes connections come loose in outlets and switches, so everything downstream of that point goes dead. If you're looking to do fan installations or any other electrical work, you probably should invest in a how to book

Lawanna wrote:

You mean the breaker for that circuit didn't reset or the light switch in the bedroom itself?
If the latter, sounds like it possibly could have been the switch itself that went bad and caused the breaker to trip. Turn the breaker off, and pull the cover plate off and take the switch loose from the box and see if it appears to show anything unusual -- sign of any arc'ing, wires showing that they've been warm/hot via discolored insulation, etc., etc., ...
If any of those, replace the switch (noting which wires came from which terminal if there are more than just the two) and you're probably good to go.
The fans are probably a bigger step -- need more info on what type and where you want them to even have a chance...

Move that "switch" (circuit breaker handle, actually) all the way to the OFF position, then ON. Right now, it's in the TRIPPED position, which is midway between OFF and ON. To reset a tripped breaker, you have to switch it all the way off first, then on.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

-------------------- It is unlikely that the masterbedroom is on a stand-alone dedicated CB circuit. By this I mean that if, aftetr your reset the CB, only the light in the bedroom is out but the outlets are "hot" (you can test the outlets by plugging in, say, a vaccuum cleaner or an end-table lamp), then the problem is most likely a defective switch. Also, check the GFCI outlet next to the sink in the masterbathroom and reset it as this could be the source of the problem.

I think I would first unplug everything you have plugged in on that circuit. You might have a short in a lamp or radio/tv that doesn't allow the circuit breaker to reset.
snipped-for-privacy@uark.edu wrote:

. Exactly. But very occasionally, as in some hotel rooms, some (or part) of the outlets are on a switch by the bedroom door. So when you enter and flick the switch various table or bedside lamps around the room can come on. Other devices such as TVs and bedroom appliances are not switched in this way. But agree that it does sound as though once the Circuit Breaker function and reset has been checked, as though a bedroom wall switch has failed. For the knowledgeable a very straightforward repair but as we have frequently seen here one that the unwary can mess up! Overall, it does appear that the OP s does not have sufficient know how to safely do any work on electrical devices. Probably not the necessary tools either? They should get an electrician or other knowledgeable person to do any necessary repair. Checking the GFCI is a good idea because it is possible that once something has tripped there could be a couple of related faults.