One problem replaced by another. OIl furnace burns, stops after 9 seconds

Page 1 of 2
So everything was fine, and now my oil furnace starts, runs for about 9 seconds with a good yellow flame, and stops.
In a while I can press reset and then the same thing happens.
9 seconds is not enough time for the fan to go on, of course. Now it might be even a little shorter.
Hellllllllp!
mm wrote the following:

Change the filter lately?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Thermocouple, flame sensor, limit switch,...
first thing to do is make sure everything is clean.
Make? Model?

I would guess that you have an issue with the flame sensor, or the primary control that the flame sensor connects to.
"mm" wrote in message
So everything was fine, and now my oil furnace starts, runs for about 9 seconds with a good yellow flame, and stops.
In a while I can press reset and then the same thing happens.
9 seconds is not enough time for the fan to go on, of course. Now it might be even a little shorter.
Hellllllllp!
-----------------
Do you have air in the oil line by chance?
My grandfather's oil furnace had to have a nozzle replaced last winter. They spray funny when not working right and the furnace shuts down for safety reasons.
On 1/20/2011 7:40 AM, mm wrote:

"A good yellow flame"? No such thing. That's bad, it should be mostly blue with yellow tips. If it's running that poorly, the optical sensor is probably smoked up and shuts itself down. Clean off the sensor then try adjusting the air for a blue flame with yellow tips.

You do realize that this is an oil burner??
RBM wrote:

Apparently not. Most folks outside the frozen northeast seem to have never heard of oil heat.
On 1/20/2011 2:24 PM, RBM wrote:

Yes. And I've watched pro's adjust them and I've done it myself many times. A yellow flame is going to build up a lot of soot in no time. Actually blue may not be best, try for a white/blue flame with yellow tips. And if you're picky, I'll change "optical sensor" to "photo cell". Yellow is not acceptable, unless you want the same problems the OP has.
Tony Miklos wrote:

I took (and passed with a perfect grade) an oil burner service course, and there were no blue or remotely blue flames anywhere in and of the burners we worked on, only very bright yellow, which might look white to some folks.
On 1/20/2011 7:29 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Well you could have me on the very bright yellow looking white. What color are or should the tips be? That's the only place I see yellow and never orange.

Just for the record Tony, further searching turned up your blue flame oil burners. It is not a standard oil burner, but a specially designed burner which produces this blue flame. Typical garden variety burners make yellow flames, Blue Ray type burners make blue flames.
RBM wrote:

Interesting. In the class (some years ago) we worked on Carlin, Beckett and Riello burners.

Maybe these other oil burners are made by the same folks who make Blue Ray DVD burners.

Those are probably the biggest selling burners in the NE. Just about every oil boiler I wire has one of those three, mostly Beckett, but Riello is coming on strong. Might be that where Tony lives, blue flame burners are popular. I can't believe I've never seen one. Here is a good link to the technology: http://www.hed.com/blueflame/description.html
RBM wrote:

It's certainly interesting, but it seems to be just in the industrial market which would explain why we haven't see it in any residential applications.

Don't they (often) use a different type of oil in industry. I read about grade 6, which contains more sulfur (and maybe other ingredient differences) and grade 4 which iiuc is a mix of grade 6 and grade 2.
So maybe different components give a different color. This is where the rules of color mixing come in. Blue and yellow make white, so maybe blue with a little yellow is what makes it look almost white.
Does sulfur burn blue? Yes, according to wikip, it does. So I think the fuel makes the difference.
On 1/20/2011 10:41 PM, RBM wrote:

http://wetheadmedia.com/how-to-troubleshoot-a-beckett-oil-burner /
Problem: The flame on my Beckett burner is yellow not blue
Solution: This means that you need to adjust the air intake on the fan. You can do that by adjusting the squirrel cage baffles located on the side of the burner.
I must admit, I don't see much about blue flames in today's search but there are still quite a few of them out there if you search enough. Although today's search seems to have blue flames in the minority.
I also found a neat Popular Science article about a blue flame heater from in the 50's maybe, but I lost it again. It was a circular burner where the burning oil heated up the fuel oil until it became a gas, then it burned blue. I was also working on a homemade waste oil heater that burns white/blue, I may get around to it again by spring.
Even this thread made it into google already, into a D Y I dot B a n t e r dot com.

The advice given on the link you post, is from some guy with a blog, not Beckett, so I question it's accuracy. Again, I'm not a burner tech, but I have worked on literally hundreds of Becketts, and I've never seen one burn anything but some variation of yellow. It is also possible that Beckett makes a blue flame burner
On 1/21/2011 11:31 AM, RBM wrote:

No, I suppose I was just wrong. My only excuse is I hadn't worked on one for about 7 years, and when I double checked and the first link I clicked on said to go for a blue flame, well, it lead me on.
I can now remember the almost blindingly bright yellow flame that was so bright it made looking for the flame tips difficult.
When I think of it now, a blue flame that large with a fan blowing it, it would probably burn through a steel firebox in no time.