One-Piece Toilets

Do one-piece toilets operate as well as two-piece? Are they as easy to repair, i.e. replace flappers, etc?
I need to replace a toilet, and am thinking of opting for a one-piece, but I am wondering if you give up sometehing with a one-piece.
Any brands models to look at, or avoid?
They are supposed to be quieter and more stylish. Heavier to install. Check Consumer Reports at the library for their rating of toilets a couple of years ago. Some expensive one piece and 2 piece toilets flush poorly which should be your biggest concern. Toilets with pressure flush from Sloan flush well with Gerber being quieter than Kohlers but the Gerber has a very high water level which they consider an advantage but some people don't like. A neat thing about the Sloan valve is that they sense back pressure so overflows are just about impossible. In the middle of the flush if the toilet is stuffed up they will stop flushing to prevent overflow. Great feature.

Buck Turgidson wrote:

I bought a 1-piece toilet a year or two ago, and it works great. It's easier to clean than a 2-piece. All the hardware inside the tank looks normal, and I haven't had to replace anything yet. I don't recall what kind of seat it has for the flapper valve; that is the only part that I can imagine being any harder to replace than on a 2-piece toilet.
-bob
Buck Turgidson writes:

Generally, no. Much lower static head pressure in the tank means less pressure to accomplish flushing, which in these 1.6 gal/flush days is a problem. Special non-standard flappers are required as the standard ones depend on the tank outlet being above the bowl. Only benefit is looks.
<< Only benefit is looks. >>
Don't agree. The freedom from leakage problems is a real plus. And installations are a breeze. I've had one piece commodes for over 20 years and wouldn't buy anything else. They operate just as well as the others, at least my Kohler units do. Minor downside is price of special replacement parts, but Kohler parts service is so good I can live with it. HTH
Joe

Assuming you are bound by the low-flow law, I'd go with Toto. But, nore than you could ever want to know, here: http://www.toiletology.com/toc.shtml Read their low-flow section---or whatever else moves you.