One more wiring ?

Page 2 of 2
On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 4:40:21 PM UTC-4, philo  wrote:

Out of curiousity, what exactly are you doing? Unless you're changing the wiring for some other reason, there is no reqt that you bring an older attic up to current code. If it was compliant when it was put in, it's still compliant today.
If it were my attic and there was something glaring, like a cable you could snag, in an accessible attic that you use, I'd fix that. But if it looks OK and isn't causing problems, I wouldn't rewire just to make it comply with code today.
On 07/16/2014 08:39 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I did all the wiring myself years ago and was in a hurry when I did it.
I recently paid a qualified electrician to upgrade my service from 100 to 200 amps and it's all of course compliant to today's code.
Now that I'm retired I have sufficient time to go back over all the stuff I put in and do it right. The basement is all done now and though the attic *might* have complied to the code at the time, I might as well do it right.
To bring the stuff I did up to "current code" is going to cost me about $40 in parts, it's just my own time. As I mentioned somewhere else, I also want to be sure there is no chance a roofer will ever hit anything in the event I get a new roof.

...snip Code quote for brevity...

Yeah, I'm not even positive which version that was from...I've not bothered to worry much about recent changes; I don't think there's anything in there that's really a significant change in actual implications for safety since the '80s or so, and here on the farm we're outside City jurisdiction so don't need to worry about the nitty details much. I thought that the above was actually from the '90s era (19-, _not_ 18- :) ) but maybe it was even earlier; it was from a bookmarked link I remembered from another discussion of some time back so I just used it w/o looking for recent. For myself, I still use the Handbook based on '79 Code--since all the outbuildings were done to 50s w/ 2-wire, that's always a significant improvement when make any changes/additions :) . Dad completely rewired the house in mid-/late-70s so it's reasonably modern.

The article numbers and formatting puts it in the 20th century. They changed the code in 2002 to align the format with other codes (periods vs dashes etc) The article numbers got changed around too, (NM is 334, AC is 320 now) I might be able to match up the actual language with which cycle it is from but it is not that important. They do massage the language from cycle to cycle.
There have been quite a few significant changes since the 80s so it is worth looking at the newer versions. Things like the AFCI were not even around in the 80s and 90s. The usage of GFCIs has expanded quite a bit too. On a farm, significant changes have occurred in reference to stray voltages and wiring around ponds.
On 07/16/2014 9:25 AM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

I didn't say I hadn't looked; just haven't bothered to update the on-hand stuff.
GFCIs are a technology that are in Code but it's one of the areas that I've chosen to disregard as it's just never been an issue I've seen to cause a problem and so I've not bothered to change anything out nor to add them even in some places that by Code should. That's just me; I'm not advocating anyone else necessarily follow my lead... :)
I was going to mention that the previous that I mentioned about the outbuildings with 2-wire, etc., is for the original lighting circuits, etc., all the later heavier usage that's been added since such as the feed mill and elevator leg in the barn is 3-wire as would be expected.
Being located in SW KS, ponds are a non-issue... :)

any inspector with half a brain.
On 07/16/2014 4:49 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

I've never seen a case they were rejected...