One more question on the 1' short garage - below "Hate such builder"

Page 2 of 2

Alright Mountain man!............Get out your Banjo, and Let's get this thing going,..........<Musically Plucking Guitar strings>
http://www.topeuro.co.uk/blagger/the_duel.html
<tapping foot ,........waiting patiently>
Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB
Here's some sharing of experience and ideas then. If I were in your shoes, rather than cutting into potential weight-bearing members, I might have seriously investigated building a sort of "bay window" structure to move the door out away from the current position. I've seen several garages extended this way and it can be quite tastefully done, with a small shingled roof to match the rest of the house.
%mod%
Marina wrote:

there
studs
inside.
experiences
personal
ignored.
snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net wrote in

Good idea, thanks.

Let's see, last time I looked this was a group for offering experiences about how we got around problems and not a wise cracking group on personal choices. If you want to be the wise guy, then you'll just be ignored. Marina

Lighten up!
You take yourself way too serious.
PJ

OIC. I didn't realize. Marina

life is too long to live with a bullshit parking situation. i swear i know some people that live on a hill, down a short steep driveway after you turn off the steep hill, with concrete walls on both sides so close you cant even open the doors, going really slow so you dont bottom out, with a garage that has 1" of clearance. i guess some people just like to punish themselves.
randy
Bob,
I think you need to speak with the builder before you close on this house. It seems to me that it will be very hard for you and any passengers to walk in front of or behind your van when it is in the garage. Thus you will be loading and unloading in the driveway. Moving the van every time you want to take out the trash or get to stored stuff is going to become really annoying. Adding a "bump out" at the door end to give you 1 or 2 more feet is easy and shouldn't break the builder's company. It's his problem, it's not acceptable, and he needs to fix it.
Dave M.

I am surprised that anyone would build a garage less than 24 feet deep! My garage is 38 feet deep and it is too small! Greg

I went back and read your first post, I would be pissed! I don't know what recourse you would have, but if the plans clearly stated a 24 foot deep garage I would be asking the builder what he plans to do about it! For me it would be a MAJOR aggravation! Greg