One mor wiring question

Is it possible to wire a receptacle so that a switch turns both inputs on. That is, I know how to wire it so one of the inputs it tied to the switch. But is there a way to tie both of the inputs to the switch?

Reply to
JK

If you mean wire it so that the whole duplex receptical is controlled by the switch, it's just a device like any other, hook it up like any normal outlet-pair, and put a single-pole, single throw switch on the hot that feeds it. Wiring it so that only HALF of it is the complicated thing that requires breaking the tab and running one always-hot and one switched feed.

If you mean wire it so that the nuetral and the hot are both switched, you'd use a double-poll-single-throw switch, and run both the hot and nuetral through it, but that's a bad idea in most cases, and probably a code violation.

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn

Yes, you need a double pole switch that will break both feeds.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Both inputs? Do you mean that you want to switch both the hot and the neutral? Sure, use a double pole switch.

However, since I can't imagine why you would want to do this, I suspect you might mean something else. Please clarify.

Reply to
toller

Unless I'm completely missing the point of the question., just leave the jumper / tab between the top and bottom outlets in place, and both will be energized automagically.

Reply to
Andy Hill

It's a bad idea only in the sense that it's a completely unnecessary expenditure of money and time, as a much cheaper single-pole switch is perfectly adequate to the task, and easier to wire.

There's no reason at all to think that it would be a code violation of any sort.

Doug Miller