One hose portable AC?

Page 1 of 3
A friend's air conditioning has failed and she doesn't have the money to replace the compressor etc.
So she's looking at so-called portable AC One unit she saw looks nice, has the right controls plus remote, but only has an output hose. One of the laymen reviewing it makes that a deal breaker, that it doesnt have an input hose also to the window.
Because this means it will suck hot air in from the outside, but that won't be the same air expelled.
This makes sense to be but maybe it's not as bad as the reviewer makes it sound. If hot air is sucked in through its own hose, the AC won't be able to add as much heat to the hot air as it would to te room temperature air, and that will lower the efficiency of the AC. It will also lower its speed of heating the room it's in, although it will raise to some extent the temperature of the rooms it's not in, depending on where the outside air infittrates.
Normally she keeps the basement window (10 inhces high near the ceiling of the basement) open all summer, and the other major place is the mail slot in the front door. It has an inner metal flap and an outer metal flap but no foam in either flapway. (Maybe if I looked at it some more, I could figure out how to add foam that wouldn't either keep the mail out or get knocked off by the income mail.) Also the weather stripping in her laterallly open window probably won't work as well when she has to open one window and one storm window for the hose output.
Do you think one hose AC is terrrible and should avoided at all cost?
About half of the machines out there are one hose. Admittedly, the cheaper ones, but she doesn't want to spend too much either.
Her b-room is 14 x 19 = 266 plus if she leaves the little bathroom door open that's about another 30 feet2. IOW about 300 sq.feet.
On Monday, June 23, 2014 9:29:13 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

I will definitely take a hit on efficiency because of the reasons you cite. It takes cool house air, uses a blower to push it past the hot coils and then out the house. That air is then replaced by hot outside air coming into the house. How much that winds up costing her would depend on how much she uses it, how much eff is lost, and what electric rates are. And that would have to be compared to the cost difference of a two hose one.
In belched:

tell her to save her money and just buy a window unit. i saw test results of the so called portables and they were not good. They barely cooled the rooms more than about 10 degrees cooler that the outside temps. Even the most expensive Westinghouse ($500) didn't get the job done. Get a window unit and forget it jmo
On 6/23/2014 9:29 PM, micky wrote:

Must be in a condo, or HOA? I find window AC start about $110 at Walmart. But some places don't allow window AC. I'd expect a one hose to provide comfort in one room, and that's what counts.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I've had two of those single-hose portable A/C units.
They work just fine -- for one room only. They don't have the volume to cool two rooms.
They do take longer than a window unit or central A/C to cool that one room, but they do work, even at ambient temperatures of 100F.
It is important that the exhaust-hose be sealed where it meets the window to prevent the hot exhaust air from re-entering the room, which would increase cooling time. For me, this meant cutting up some corrugated cardboard to fit, and stuffing some Kleenex in the gaps left over. The units came with some hardware to seal-off the exhaust hose, but this hardware didn't fit my windows, hence the cardboard.
--
Tegger

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 7:02:38 AM UTC-5, Tegger wrote:

I have 2 single hose AC units (8&12BTU)...the larger cools 2 rooms (625sf) comfortably. It wouldn't run in a standard 15A outlet though, I had to re-wire a dryer outlet so it had its own circuit. We have crank-out windows! 8^O

Thanks for the answer. The thing is, she has no one to put in a window unit and that includes me. The one time I did that was in my apartment in Brooklyn, and the first thing I did was nail** a shelf to the wooden outside window sill, with a small block of wood to make it horizontal. Then I put in the AC and when I let go of it, there was no chance it was going to fall out of the window. (It also meant I could open the window in the spring and fall, and the AC just sat there. I don't know why everyone doesn't do it this way.)
But she has no outside window sill at all. and 80% of the weight of those things is outside. It's the second floor, not the fifth floor like in Brooklyn, but I still can't do it. (The windows slide horizontally/)
**With nails at opposing angles so they couldn't be pulled out by the shelf. Prior to the AC I had put in a shelf in the kitchen to hold a little charcoal grill. That was more interesting. The drug addicts*** next door saw the charcoal lighter burning, and I'm glad to say called a neighbor of mine instead of the fire department. (Probably because it looked like a charcoal grill and not like an apartment on fire.) And another time when I shut the window to keep out the smell of burning charcoal lighter, the heat broke the window. But in 11 years in that building, that's all I broke.)
***Literally drug addicts, everyone who lived there except maybe the staff. Part of Teen Challenge ("The Cross and the Switchblade")

On 6/24/2014 8:35 AM, micky wrote:

Those horizontal sliders need a "casement" AC. Which are made, but not as easy to find.
Sounds like the hose thing is going to be the only answer. Since you don't have anyone to put in AC, how will she carry the unit in and take it out of the box?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:46:35 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I didn't see where he said she has horizontal casement windows. We don't know where it goes, only that she has no one to put it in for her. The vast majority of window ACs don't need some wood platform built outside to hold it. They also don't weigh anywhere near what old ones used to weigh.
If it's a regular window, then I think the best solution would be to find someone local that can set it in the window for her, take it out, it's just twice a year. There are probably other things that she also needs done that such a person would be useful for too.

I was kind of wondering that too. And there still could be some fitment issue, if it's some window type that it's not exactly made to fit, etc.

One room would be enough. That's pretty much all she uses anyhow, except for the bathroom, and I called her this morning and she said a) the bathroom was never a problem. Being hot for a while is not a problem. The problem was sleeping all night in the heat, and having no refuge to go to in the daytime except the basement, whether there is no place good to lie down. b) if she has to, she can start using the bathroom that connects with her bedroom. It's small (~30 sq. ft. as I think I said) and will probably cool off when the room does if the door is left open.

Okay. She was also worried about the noise, but suggested herself that she could turn it on in advance and maybe not have to run it at when she's sleeping. Some of them have sleep timers or On timers or both.
Thanks, and thanks to all.
I'm thinking most of the air will enter through the open basement window -- 200 times as big as the openings in the mail slot -- where it will be cooled by the constant 64 degrees in the basement before it eventually gets upstairs.
In fact I met a guy who said he got good results cooling his upstairs just by letting his furnace fan run, bringing up cool air from the basement. I suggested that years ago hear and got shot down by everyone, but he says it works.
On 6/24/2014 8:51 AM, micky wrote:

If this was addressed I missed it (sorry) - does she own the house? If so, would she consider doing a "through the wall" unit? My last (row) house had two of those in the two main bedrooms and I really liked them because I could still use the regular windows if I wanted. Someone had made an a/c sized hole in the wall under the window, put in a window unit and just framed in somehow around it. Of course, someone would have to make the hole in the wall, but at least it's a one time deal. When I had to get one replaced, I could just buy a regular window unit and the appliance store I bought it from installed it. They really only worked for one room each, although when I felt clever, I'd hang a tension curtain rod at the top of the stairs and hang a piece of plastic, which actually did a decent job of keeping the cooler air on the second floor when I ran both units.
Otherwise since the basement is cooler, is there a way to configure a whole house window fan and have it pull air from the basement? I lucked out in that house because I had a laundry chute that I left open as a big air duct. (I don't mean a regular window fan; they make/made window exhast fans that sounded like small airplanes and were pretty powerful).
I hope you can figure something out to help her. Nothing worse than being hot and sticky while you're trying to sleep.
On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 08:46:35 -0400, Stormin Mormon

That I will do.
On 6/24/2014 9:07 AM, micky wrote:

She's fortunate to have good friends.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 6/24/2014 9:07 AM, micky wrote:

"the windows slide horizontally/"
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 10:26:25 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I didn't see that in the later post. I've put regular AC into a casement window, the essential difference was that I had to cut a piece of plywood to fit the open part of the window above the AC. Not hard, but it is more work and something Auntie isn't going to do herself. There are also ACs designed for casement, but they cost more too.
I guess she could buy one of those "miracle coolers" that utilize the latest breakthrough in Chinese technology. You know, like the scammers that sell the "miracle heaters", with the Amish made mantles in the winter...... I think the cooler amounts to an ice pack that you put in the freezer, then put in front of a fan in the miracle unit. Cools for just pennies a day.......
On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 08:33:08 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

I think I read here that the miracle coolers work. Not by ice. They plug into the cigarette lighter and use a thermocouple. The same thing that will make electricity when it gets hot, will make cold when one runs electricity through it. Or something like that.
They make great picnic coolers, and I think the motels I stayed in 2 summers ago all had them. Those fridges made no noise at all, but still kept food cold and ice icey in the ice compartment. (They might have made ice, but I didn't try.)
On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 12:41:00 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

No, I don't know of anyone marketing a room cooler that plugs into your car. This is an example of the crap I'm talking about:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2009/06/negligible-cooling-nets-cool-surge-portable-air-cooler-a-consumer-reports-don-t-buy-judgment/index.htm
In the winter, similar shysters sell miracle electric heaters, with space age technology from China.

On 6/24/2014 12:41 PM, micky wrote:

Peletaire junction, probably spelled wrong.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 4:14:28 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Ralph answered that and he spelled it correctly...so he gets 100 points!
On 06/24/2014 04:14 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Peltier?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us