On-Your-Lot Home Builder in Northern Virginia

Sorry for the cross-posting. I'm completely new to this and I don't know where to begin.
My wife and I are investigating the possibility of purchasing a lot in our neighborhood and building a house. So I'm writing to ask for referrals for on-your-lot home builders in the northern Virginia area. We're not looking for anything terribly fancy or customized; just a nice, new home in our neighborhood. We live in western Fairfax County, if that helps.
We're also interested in the possibility of building a modular home. So referrals to modular home builders are also welcome.
Like I said, we're just beginning this process, so I'm open to any and all advice.
Thanks in advance, Bill Woessner

Generally speaking you would normally buy the lot, hire an architect to design a house and draw up plans, and then solicit bids from builders and contractors. There are of course design-build companies out there if that is what you are looking for. You should own the lot first before planning so that your new home can be designed to fit the site.

If O.P. does not yet own a lot, an architect might help choose one. Not all lots are equally suited to a given set of desires. T
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 19:40:59 -0400, "John Grabowski"

Or at least have an option to buy the lot...
Alot of decent builders are quite good at scooping up quality lots when they come available. If you buy one yourself, you might be sorry later on when you find the builder that you like.
I found a builder whose style I liked and as it turned out he had a good inventory of attractive building sites. And a lot I was looking at before I found him was full of shale rock ( I think it was) that needed demolition ($$$) to be done before it could even be excavated to build on.
If I didn't consult with a builder first I could have opened up a can of worms. Glad I didn't get that lot as the builder I like didn't build there. And as it turned out I like the area I ended up in better..
If you do find a lot you like a builder will do a free preliminary site survey for you. I suggest at least doing that first..