on topic for a change - old Pella window problem.

A friend's house (about 50 years old) has what I believe are original Pella windows that need a bit of sash work. The balance mechanisms are aluminum or zinc and have a round hump profile - flat on both sides and bulging out in the center. The sashes ride up and down on these "humps" running in a channel or groove in both sides of the window. If I remove the sash stops from the inside will the balances come out of the jam with the sash?
Does anyone know where I can view a picture of exactly how the balance connects to the sash, and what type of balance it is?
I need to remove 8 lower sashes to correct the hieght of the sash to compensate for a botched job of cladding the outer framing and sill so the windows can be latched. The cladding was done by a contractor several years ago. They were looking at getting the windows replaced and asked my opinion - I looked at them and the sash etc is all in good shape, just cannot go down far enough for the sash latches to engage so I need to either cut down the top or the bottom of the window so the sash-latches will line up again (roughly 1/4")
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

How about stripping the botched cladding off the outside, instead? Even a good cladding job sometimes traps water against the sill and molding and rots it out. Strip the cladding, stabilize any damage, and prime and paint. I'd do that (on the sill, at least) before I started carving up the sashes. Or maybe even use a straightedge and a sharp knife or multi-tool to carve off the part of the cladding that is interfering, and then just caulk that joint. (They ran the cladding into where the window actually seats when closed ?!?!)
--
aem sends...

forgot about the thickness of the cladding interfering with latching the windows.
A very highly respected contractor - known for high quality work and generally deserving - but he screwed up on this one - and the owner (my friend in his mid-upper eighties) didn't catch on untill a couple years later what the problem was.
The cladding isn't coming off - it's a mansard and that would be a REAL job. Cutting out the cladding and caulking would make a water trap that would get them right back to the problem that existed before the cladding was done ( a couple sills were also replaced, having been rotted away where water sat.) With no overhanging eaves, the windows have little protection, and being a mansard they are set back in with deep sills. It looks like everything will be fine if we can get the windows to latch so they seal better.
I'd hate to see what kind of mess they;'d end up with if one of the big replacement window companied got their hands into it.
have you tried the Pella Windows website ??
James --------------------------- Does anyone know where I can view a picture of exactly how the balance connects to the sash, and what type of balance it is?

Good question.
Spring loaded and a helix shaped rod?

I've had some window experience - but not Pella specific.
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 21:51:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Check Pella in Canada:
Canak Windows and Doors Toronto, Ontario
http://www.canakwindows.com/pella_windows.html

Instead of throwing bandaids and money at 50 year old warped and rotted windows perhaps it's time to replace them...There are others out there besides the "big window replacement companies" who do that..Ask around..Word of mouth is usually the best way to find a good contractor...Or do it yourself , you said you have window experience...HTH..

Not. They are in very good condition. As for window experience I worked for 2 of the best replacement window contractors in the Kitchener-Waterloo/Cambridge area of Ontario over a period of several years. These windows are very salvageable and worth repairing.
Again, everyone is trying to tell me WHAT to do, not answering my question of HOW to do it.
These windows are NOT going to be replaced. They ARE going to be repaired. So stop wasting your keystrokes and bandwidth telling me to replace the windows. Aint going to happen. Full stop.
ANyone out there have experience with the older style Pella windows want to chip in with any information on what I should expect when I pop the inner sash stops and try to remove the sash liner/balance assemblies and lower sash?
I'll contact a knowlegeable window repair guy here in town when he gets back to work next week (after March Break) and see what he has to say. Just figured I'd see if anyone on-line had any experience --- Seems not at this point.
Thanks anyway.
On Mar 21, 1:27pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Can you grab the springs with some sort of a small wire hook and pull them down below the windows so they will grab? you would have to have a small strong wire that could fit betwen the window and the frame inside the track somehow, but it can be done.
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 11:59:09 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

Looking at more and more information it appears they may NOT be Pella. They are double pane, but not sealed units - and the removable pane is on the OUTSIDE, where all the information I can find on Pella says the removeable pane is on the INSIDE - so not sure WHAT brand they really are - possibly Andersen or ???

My 1966 ranch's original windows were Pella and the removable pane was indeed on the inside as was the screen...They always had major condensation in the winter making it nearly impossibe to see out of them and they were a major PITA to clean...I replaced them...Best money I ever spent....I really don't think they are Anderson either....Probably some off brand...Alot of CHEAP houses were just thrown together after WW2 with the baby and building boom...HTH...

Nope...I could see your point IF they were very old antique windows in an old home but frigging with junk Pella windows isn't being done much..Especially what you want to do..And you DID say a couple of rotted ones were repaired...If you don't want feed back don't bother posting questions...You tend to get all sorts of tips , some good , some not so good but to get all pissy about it is being an ASS...I thought you WERE a knowledgable window guy but go ask your more knowledgable window guy and when he tells you to replace them you can get all pissy with him...LOL...