On space heaters

EXT-
You are absolutely correct....
I should have mentioned setting the whole house FAU to a low temp & then space heating to comfort level.
I also agree with your calculation of gas vs electric....but the calc changes if the gas is propane.

You could save even more by not heating the bedroom at all. Back in the day prior to central heat only the rich had fireplaces in the bedrooms - everybody else did with cold rooms and lots of covers. I grew up that way and still prefer a cold to a warm room for sleeping
Harry K
On 11/27/2012 11:24 AM, Harry K wrote:
[snip]

I'm like that too. I prefer a lower room temperature at night, and use blankets.
--
28 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:00:00 AM for 1
day).

Mark Lloyd

My grandparents lived in a coal community, houses built by the coal company. Fireplace in every room except kitchen had coal stove. There were four rooms and outhouse. Bathing was one in the kitchen. At some point large coal furnace was installed, perhaps from the get go.
Greg

the wall in the bedroom as a kid.
On 11/26/2012 4:14 PM, HeyBub wrote:

i turn off the heater at night, and use cats to keep us warm.
chaniarts wrote:

That helps.
In the west, I've heard the nightly temperature referred to as "a one-dog night" or "a two-dog night." Don't think I've ever heard of "a three-dog night."

That's because you live in Texas.
On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 12:44:43 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzz wrote:

They need to talk to Mike Alsup, Floyd Sneed, Danny Hutton, ChuckNedon, Cory Wells, Jimmy Greenspoon, and/or Joe Schmerle.
The term came from the Aussie Aborignals who would sleep in a hole with a dingo on cool nights, 2 on cold nights, and 3 on REALLY cold nights.
On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 22:18:32 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Do I really need a smiley when responding to HB about "The Three Dog Night"?
Oren wrote:

Nah, the kind you mean heated the ceramic inserts which radiated the heat straight out. My little heater has just a flame, much like a fireplace log lighter.