On regulations...

"The report focuses on the Environmental Protection Agency's Lead Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule, which was designed to limit exposure to lead-based paints in houses built before 1978. Imposed in 2008 -- before the Obama administration came to power -- the rule required that renovations to older homes be done by EPA-certified contractors following EPA-dictated procedures. But the rule contained an opt-out provision: If a homeowner filed a certificate saying there were no pregnant women or children under six years of age in the home, the renovations could go forward without the certification. But that changed under when the Obama administration came to Washington. Several environmental groups challenged the opt-out provision, and the Obama EPA chose not to defend it, working with environmentalists in

2009 to fashion a settlement removing the opt-out provision. Now, all homeowners who renovate are required to go through the costly procedures."

And more.

HeyBub

"Now, all homeowners who renovate are required to go through the costly procedures."

That just PROVES you and the idiot that wrote the article which you quoted never actually read any of the regulations at all, the certification applies only to people whom you PAY to do work on your home... If you don't want to pay for the extra PPE measures then you as a homeowner can do your own work with as little PPE as you want... The dust and debris removed from a home containing lead paint is not treated as hazardous waste -- it can be thrown out in the normal garbage stream...

For the statement to be true you would have to insert "pay someone else to do the work to" after the word who...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Facts?

What are you nuts?

This is the newsgroup for all those crusty old guys that once fixed something to have a few drinks and get on the computer and complain about random things the government is doing to them.

Facts don't count.

Reply to
despen

Yup, count me as one of those crusty old guys.

But, I worked in an environmental area and the current EPA is in need of restraint.

Obama's appointee to head it up is a sycophant, who like Obama has no real world experience.

Home repair is one business they cannot chase out of the country, but believe me, they are chasing out others.

Reply to
Frank

Did you see the continue line "And more"?

Had you followed it before going into the "rant mode," you would have seen, as the very next sentence, "The report says homeowners, eager to avoid extra costs imposed by the rule, often perform renovations themselves or hire non-certified renovators who will do the work for less than certified firms."

I apologize for taking only a snippet thereby omitting the part that's dear to your heart. But, for the sake of your heart - and blood pressure - you might want to read the whole thing.

And you can read it at the correct link below:

HeyBub

Right...

Only your slanted article implies that BOTH of the options you gave above are shifty and/or illegal...

A homeowner can do the work on their home without the PPE if they wish because honestly unless the homeowner is in the business of buying and flipping older homes it will be a once-in-a-lifetime type of project for them...

Lead paint is not considered hazardous waste, it doesn't have to be collected and disposed of in special thick plastic bags with printed health warnings on them and double wrapped like asbestos... You also have to document chain of custody on asbestos waste and only those people who are licensed to remove it or dispose of hazardous wastes can transport it and deliver it to authorized disposal sites...

The whole idea behind the new lead paint handling EPA rules are to protect the ground around homes from being contaminated by professional contractors who do that sort of work every day and whom could become ill from repeated exposure to and inhalation of fine particles of lead containing dust -- which is harmful...

There is no such thing as a "non-certified firm" anyone who doesn't OWN the home being worked on has to have the training and certs required under the rule or they are performing illegal work and are committing a criminal violation of EPA regs regardless if the company is a painting company or a construction company...

The only person who can do work on a home with lead paint without being certified and using the PPE is the homeowner themselves: no friends or family, no neighbors, no volunteers, no paid contractors or employees... Only a homeowner is exempt from the training and certification requirements and the mandated use of PPE and the minimum required containment practices...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

It wasn't MY slanted article. I didn't write it or endorse it. I posted ONE paragraph here to encourage further research and discussion. Instead I get an ad hominum attack.

Pitiful.

Thank you for the expansion and explanation of the entire concept. That's what I was hoping to see (and presumably others).

Reply to
HeyBub

This is major bad news, at least to me.

I have fantasies of putting the activists, etc. all on a reservation and making them live according to their rules.

Reply to
cycjec

you haven't met any dedicated renovators. they don't flip, but many have done more than one house.

Reply to
cycjec