OMG I can't believe how crappy consumer laundry equipment is

Page 2 of 3

A lot has happened in the appliance industry during the last twenty years. From Wikipedia's page on Maytag: "By 2005, Maytag's market share had declined to all-time lows, sales were flat, and customer satisfaction surveys ranked Maytag near the bottom of the appliance field." Whirlpool acquired Maytag soon after, but has not restored the brand's reputation to anything like what it was in the days of the "Maytag repairman" ads.
On 6/10/2014 12:13 AM, Neill Massello wrote:

Appliance have followed the same path as many consumer goods where they are decontented to keep prices from going up. As well as closing U.S. factories and unionized factories and moving to less costly locales for production.
Industrial and commercial equipment goes up in price but they maintain the quality because businesses are more able to understand the value of buying higher quality equipment than consumers. A laundromat owner with a machine down for repairs has not only the cost of repairs but lost sales. So he (or she) is willing to pay for very rugged machines that are very easy to service. A laundromat owner needs to be able to do their own repairs and have stock of any part that is a wear item (belts, hoses, motors, valves, etc.
The first laundry machines I bought were a pair of used Speed Queen commercial machines (22 years old) for $50 each. I had to do a few repairs since the machines had been in commercial service during those years. One motor pulley. One belt. One electric heater coil for the dryer. I called Speed Queen to buy manuals and they said that they would send them out with an invoice for me to pay when I got them--amazing.
I replaced them in around 2000 because the dryer drum wore out (the steel actually wore out) and when I called Speed Queen to buy a new drum they could not understand what I was saying when I read them the model number and insisted that there must be more digits. When I told them that the machine was built in 1963 they explained that while many of the parts had not changed since then, the dryer drum had changed and the old one was no longer available.
One of my relatives has a tri-plex with the same Speed Queen model and I did have to service their washer once--the coin slide was not automatically coming back out after being pushed in because the spring had broken. A new spring fixed it. I was only there because they wanted me to change the cost of a wash and a dry but I replaced the spring since I was there.
On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 21:34:26 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Our Maytag is made in USA. Are they not available in CA?

was not. Apparently the Maxima a nd Bravos lines are made in Findlay Ohio - I don't remember seeing those names, but they may well be availble now. The retailers I spoke with all said the Mexican Duet was nothing but trouble at the time and gently steered me away from Maytag.
On 6/10/2014 8:27 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Probably a smart move from what I've heard. I bought the Bravos series top loader. Sol far, OK, but it is only six months old.
On 6/10/2014 5:27 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

<http://www.manufacturing.net/news/2007/10/historic-maytag-factory-shuts-its-doors I'd rather buy an LG machine now. I have been to LG in Korea many times (computer factory, not appliance factory) and they treat their workers well.

Folks had the same set, similar age. The washer broke this year and they were told they couldn't get the control board to repair. Setting aside why any electronic board isn't designed not to fail these days, the fact that they had to junk an expensive and not very old washer is really annoying.

Apparently LG makes the upper end GE models these days, so that can be on option as well. The regular GE stuff is junk.
On 6/9/2014 1:22 PM, sms wrote:

Recently bought a new Maytag top loader. The control panel has more lights than anything Boeing makes for the cockpit.
It does a good job of washing though so I'm satisfied with that portion. I wast offered an additional five year warranty for $125. I've always recommended passing on such deals as they are not wroth it. Changed my mind. A typical service call today is $80 to $100.
I watched the ma chine (glass lid) go through a typical cycle. Valves opening and closing as water can follow different path. Dispensers open and water passes through to rinse them. The tub spins, stops, reverses. Goes fast, goes slow, water sprays.
I just don't think this machine is going to run flawless for six years. I'm thinking the service policy will pay for itself. First time I ever bought one.
On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 10:15:20 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You better bolt her down! Otherwise it might have a mechanical malfunction or fire and go flying off to the Indian Ocean off Australia, if you believe some folks theories....

One reason: gotta flush them damn water-saver toities 3 times to get the crap down, then you have turbo-flush spray all over the seat/floor. Screw that.
nb
micky posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

Won't your jammies get camouflaged when thrown over the washer?
Do your jammies have feet?
--
Tekkie

nestork posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

So you are saying if you like your wife buy the residential version and if you don't get the commercial version?
Do you have to install a change machine? You know the wife will just steal the change of your pants along with a few bux for good measure...
--
Tekkie

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

Otherwise the water police would be sniffing around and replacing your meter. A car salesman once said to me "If you want economy you have to pay for it!"
--
Tekkie

notbob posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

I don't. One should close the lid prior to flushing because do you realize the aerosols released to land on your toothbrush and surrounding areas?
--
Tekkie

allowed to water the lawn except 2 hours a week. Only irrigation here is golf courses
On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 6:14:58 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Our city (So. Cal beach) runs incentive programs to partially subsidize conversion of lawns to xeriscapic uses.
UB
On 6/10/2014 9:45 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
<snip>

We have those incentives, plus an incentive to divert washing machine gray water to lawn irrigation since the amount of soap in washing machine water is minimal. But I guess you can no longer use bleach.
We also collect water used to wash pots and pans and dump it on the lawn but not many people will deal with this. Probably 10 gallons a day from that.
Dishwasher water really can't be diverted for lawn irrigation.
California really is not serious about water conservation because if they were they'd be banning lawns and banning high water use crops like rice. Shorter showers and full loads of laundry are nice, but the reality is that irrigation is what needs to be curtailed.
On Thursday, June 12, 2014 2:53:50 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:

Part of the reason for trying to limit waste water like toilets is that it's a two part problem. It uses water and it creates waste water that then in many cases has to be treated. That takes energy, chemicals, $$$ treatment facilities, etc.

I'm still curious about your statement related to the load sensing mechanism getting flaky over time. Do you have some statistics to back that up? Your comment was the first time I have ever heard that and since I have a machine that supposedly senses the size of the load, I'd like to hear more on that issue.
Thanks.