olive tree in lawn

Hi, we just moved in a house where we have a olive tree in the front lawn. It does look good. The leaf is yellow and falling. People told me that olive and lawn should not be together because olive do not live water but lawn does. They said my tree is dying. Is there any way we can save the tree. I am in California.
Thanks,
ff

Considering that the tree was there before, grew and matured, what changed? Hate to tell you but the tree was fine till you moved in!! :-)

We had a big olive tree in our lawn it was fine until someone parked there car on it.
on 8/16/2007 11:35 PM finecur said the following:

Perhaps the olive tree is suffering from some sort of blight or other disease. I have a flowering crabapple tree that suffered from fire blight. It was fine in the spring, but by the middle of summer, many of the leaves turned yellow and fell off. It was like that for the last 5 years. This spring, I sprayed the tree with Ortho Garden Disease Control and doused the lower branches and trunk with it. Here it is late summer and the tree is still full and has only dropped a few leaves. I plan to give it another dose next spring.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
finecur wrote:

Call a local lawn and garden store and ask for an expert diagnosis or your state land grant university's ag extension office...

Olive trees Olea europea need little fertilizer. Nutrition is less important than water. Has it been getting enough? Olive trees need very little fertilizer but can use some nitrogen and it may actually be getting too much if the lawn is heavily fertilized.
Olive trees can be cut back and can live to 500 years. Look at the regions where they prosper around the Mediterranean and you can see they need little care, but they do like full sun.