older "permanent" compression fitting question

Hi,

I just had an outdoor faucet fail due to a cracked compression nut. The nut and valve have been removed and in looking at the remaining pipe I see the olive is secured to the pipe. The olive itself spins in place but cannot be slid off of the pipe itself. My guess is that some fitting with a larger end designed to hold the olive in place was welded to the main assembly.

I'm curious first off if anyone knows what this type of compression arrangement is officially called so I can start making some better searches about it?

Secondly I wonder if anyone knows enough about these type of connections to point me in a direction as to how to go about fixing one?

Thanks

Scott

Reply to
Corvus13

I don't think you can fix it. I'd cut the copper a foot or so back and sweat in a new section of pipe, then buy a new ferrule (that's what I assume you're calling an "olive") and nut and reassemble. If you take the cut off stub with you to the store you ought to be able to either buy a complete compression splice with the correct parts or if you're real lucky just the pieces you need.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel