Older house insulation

I live in NYS and our house is almost 50 years old. After the original owners bought the house they had a second story put on the house. The second story seems very poorly insulated. In the winter I can put my hand on the upstairs bedroom ceilings (or hallways) and feel cold. Similarly if I do that in the summer I can feel warmth from the sun. The upstairs furnace runs constantly in winter and the upstairs central a/c also runs constantly during the summer.
The main floor also seems poorly insulated and our walk-in closet of the master bedroom (corner of house) is like an icebox each winter. We need to leave the closet door open to be able to use it in the mornings (of course this cools and drafts the bedroom but we have little choice).
Do you think the wall insulation is either old, settled, insufficient, non-existent, or other? Should I enlist in a home energy audit and would they be able to recommend an action I could take? Where do I find reliable, reputable people who do these audits?
Thanks, Walter

To answer the first question, yes, it may be non-existent. Sometimes you can peek in between an electrical box and the plaster and see if there is anything in the wall. Or drill a small hole that is easily patched.
Your local utility company may offer an energy audit a low or no cost. Check their web site of give them a call.

The is unlikely to be any wall insulation. The first thing to do is a visual inspection of the attic insullation. This is the cheapest and most effective place to start insulating.
Check with your heating energy provider about audits.
Bob
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 22:24:25 -0400, "news.optonline.net"

Have you gotten to look in your attic?
tom @ www.MedJobSite.com
If you plan to live in this house forever...
Seal all air leaks. Install double pane "Energy Star" windows. Insulate the heck out of everything. Very thick insulation in attic.
Energy rates are not going down....
More tips... http://www.energystar.gov
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 22:24:25 -0400, someone wrote:

On Mar 14, 2:43?pm, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (v) wrote:

Check for K&T BEFORE insulating its designed to work in free air.
DO elecxtrical upgrades before insulating, way easier to snake wires in walls with no insulation