older 12-2 NM-B cable

I have a lot of older 12-2 NM-B cable with a white jacket that I would like to use for some new circuits in a shop area. I pulled it up from the basement and over the garage roof many years ago, but never connected it. Can I still use this from the breaker box to the outlets and switches, and change to the newer yellow jacketed wire for the ceiling lights? Or will I need to pull it all out and throw it away, and replace it with the newer stuff.

Reply to
Al Tsiemers

can you tell what the temp rating is on the old Romex? Old is 60C, new is 90C

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I'd paint it yellow before I'd throw it away. It's fine to use

Reply to
RBM

NM is 60C, NM-B is 90C

Reply to
RBM

I'd certainly use it. Do you think it went stale for some reason?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If it's been protected from the sun, it should be just fine. Exposure to sunshine will dry out and crack the insulation.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Better check your ceiling light ratings. 12-2 may be overkill. Copper prices are still rather high, so you may want to use cheaper 14-2 for your lights and save the 12-2 (white or yellow) for later required 20 A circuits. The rationale for the new wire jacket colors (so I have been told) was to help building inspectors make sure the contractors were using the right gage according to code.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Which, obviously, is all the more reason that he should use the 12-2 that he _already_has_, instead of going out and buying 14-2.

Reply to
Doug Miller

It's probably against some lofty electrical code to use it but it will work fine.

Reply to
Hipupchuck

No. Color isn't prescribed in NEC for jacket; only for conductors.

--

Reply to
dpb

On Jun 9, 9:26=A0pm, Joe wrote: Copper

Compared to when? Romex was around $80 +/- for 250' of 14-2 at its peak, and now it is $28. 12-2 is about $38, down from a high of around $100. Copper pipe is less than 1/2 the price of what it was 3 years ago.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake