(old) xerox desktop copier: grabs 2 sheets each time. Fix?

Inexpensive desktop copier (xerox workcenter x88) -- grabs two sheets of paper each time, causes error E1.
Works fine -- if you feed each BY HAND.
Copy quality excellent, etc -- only pbm is this sheet-feeding thing.
(Sheet "feeder" is simply same old method all these desktop machines (printers, copiers, ...) where you put maybe a half-inch stack of paper into a sort of tray -- tray-chute is probably a more descriptive term, maybe 20-degrees off vertical.
You put or drop the paper (of course after manipulating (fanning) it by hand to make sure no two pieces are stuck together, no static electricity making them stick together, getting it perfectly lined up, etc) [yes, I know how to do this -- back in early 70's, I had a 914 (xerox's very first copier) in my living room], and then carefully placing it down into the chute.
Hit "start", and little grippers grab the top sheet and pull it into the machine. At least that's what it *used* to do.
But now it grabs two sheets, which less than a second later jams the machine.
Any idea what kind of fiddling, slight bending, adjusting, etc, it takes to get it to pick up only a single sheet at a time?
If desired, I can shoot a close-up photo of the mechanism and upload it somewhere.
--

And yes, I've googled for eg xerox desktop paper feeder fix (
or repair), and come up with nothing hintwise about fixing
On 1/15/2012 10:08 AM, David Combs wrote:

No real idea, but I'd probably try to clean the rollers, maybe by swiping with alcohol pads. Could be just a build up of crud.
This may be obvious, but many printers have a manual adjustment, usually in the paper tray, for the thickness of the paper. If it's set for card stock or something and you're using regular paper, it may feed two sheets. Do you have the manual?
On the other hand, have you tried a different batch of paper? (Just in case.)
On 15 Jan 2012 10:08:33 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

Look at the paper tray. I am not sure about Xerox but on the other sheet feed machines I have worked on there is a small lip in one corner that catches the incoming sheet, causing it to buckle a little and separate from the sheet that is below it. Be sure that is not broken or bent. Cleaning the rollers is always a good start because that can disturb the buckle effect too.

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/ sells brand-specific repair kits and chemicals (e.g. for cleaning rollers.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Have you tried "Fanning the Paper"?
http://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1833/~/fanning-paper
I guess you missed the OP post, where he said..... uh, .... go read it.

Have you tried "Fanning the Paper"?
http://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1833/~/fanning-paper
My copier guy used to tell me to put the paper in my frost free refrigerator over night. Humidity makes it stick together, and the frost free mechanism dries out the paper.
Worth a try.
[...]

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 15:12:53 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

generally not a prolem in the winter, when static from being TOO DRY is more often the problem.
I'd get a feed kit from x-rocks or fixyouownprinter.com.
I've done LOTS of them over the years - many different manufacturers

On 15 Jan 2012 10:08:33 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

service part. Generally they are priced reasonably enough to make it worth doing - and instructions ate adequate for a reasonably adept DIY to do the job. If the parts are not available it's likely too cheap a machine to be worth fixing.

On 1/15/2012 9:08 AM, David Combs wrote:

I have had absolutely excellent results from the information, parts, and instructions at this site (no relation, etc - just a satisfied customer):
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com /
--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 10:08:33 -0500, David Combs wrote:

Usually on these kinds of things, there are rubber rollers or pads that fail due to age - as others have said, a repair kit's the best option. If you want to try a DIY fix though, some combination of wet or dry paper, nail polish remover, and castor oil might bring it back to life...
cheers
Jules
THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!
Lots of very, very helpful answers!