"Old Wives Tales" NOT Working For Skunk Control!!

We have NEVER had a problem with skunks digging up our yard in the last

10+ years. But guess what, he was out there again last night at 4:30 am destroying our yard. I got up at 4:30 am to get a glass of water, and I look at the window, and there he is, like 5 feet from the back steps ripping up the grass and making dirt fly everywhere.

I banged on the back, metal storm door, and the SOB skunk looked at me, and went back to digging up the yard. I banged it again, and he looked at me again with an earthworm in his mouth, and went back to digging yet again! So I banged on the door again hard a Third time, and he finally wandered away.

Also, moth balls are now proven to be TOTALLY USELESS!!!! I put about 20 mothballs each in some empty plastic soup bowls, and placed them in about 6 spots where this pest has been digging. Well guess what he did, he just dug AROUND the bowls with the mothballs like they weren't even there!!!! The smell didn't seem to bother him one bit!?

Reply to
MICHELLE H.

replying to MICHELLE H., EL wrote: Hi Michelle, I have tried all kinds of ways to get rid of the skunks but no success. I bought a cage to trap but it flipped the cage upside down and got the chicken in it. That thing is very smart. I'm running out of ideas. How did you get rid of the skunk eventually? EL

Reply to
EL

If poisons are unsafe (because of pets etc.) you must simply shoot the animal. Amateur shooters would probably do better with a shotgun than with a rifle.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

replying to Don Phillipson , EL wrote: I have tried two kinds of rat poisons.

  1. Ingredient: Bromethalin
  2. Brand: D-con

I ground up the poison and mixed it with food. The skunk ate it all but it survived. I guess it's immune to it for some reason.

Is there a third kind of poison that I should try?

Reply to
EL

Accidentally caught a couple in my Hav-a-hart trap. Skunks not a big problem and I released them back to the yard. They say they will not spray if confined but I would not chance transporting them in my car.

Reply to
Frank

Let him alone and live with it. He's doing what he was designed to do. They will eat those rats and mice.

Reply to
clr

God bless you and good luck. I am having the exact problem as you. If you find out anything to help you. Contact me at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com. Thanks

Reply to
Patty

You may or may not know this, but most of the posts on homeowners hub are actually from Usenet.

On Usenet, we don't see old posts, only the most recent replies. The post you just replied to is 10 years old. Please check the dates and if you feel you must reply, please include the original post in your reply.

Better yet, get a Usenet account. You can do this for free.

Reply to
Dan Espen

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 14:18:25 -0500, Dan Espen posted for all of us to digest...

Right on!

Reply to
Tekkie©

Thank you for the hilarious story of your experience with skunks. I’ll definitely share this with neighbors and friends. Thanks for a great laugh! 😊

Reply to
Brie

That’s some sick people, probably have a waitress that got the order wrong in the basement so he can piss on her, 1/2 drown and rape her - y’a know for the “annoyance” factor.

Reply to
UshudBMbearASSed

We had a family of skunks move in at church. We trapped them, baptized them, confirmed them, and we've never seen them again.

Reply to
TimR