Old toilets

I'm rehabbing a few houses and will have about 6 working old toilets (some are as new as 5 years old but still the old 5 gal flush type) that is being replaced by new 1.3 gal toilets. Previously I just put a sledge hammer to it and take it to the dump. Is there a recycle place I could take it to in the Bay Area?
Put them in a truck, sell them as "antiques" for the rehabbers that haven't discovered the value of the American Standard Cadet.
# Fred # wrote:

"# Fred #" wrote

You bet, this is something worth joining, and it's free! http://www.freecycle.org/
# Fred # wrote:

If you are responsible for maintaing the new toilets you are a IDIOT for replacing them!
Sorry to be blunt but the old 5 gallon flushers worked fine every time
Whatever new ones you install will have a added decoration:( A nice ugly plunger sitting nearby for quick use:(
" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote:

That was true for the early low consumption units and is how they got such a bad reputation. The current crop of pressure assist models are pretty reliable if a little more expensive.
Pete C.
Yep that sloan valve works like a charm. I have 4 in my house for 8 plus years and no flappers to replace in all that time. Pretty much trouble free.

But why is pressure assist necessary? I have the cheapest possible 1.3 gal Toto in my camp and have yet to put anything into it that won't flush on the first try.
On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 03:24:43 GMT, "Art"

Used to be necessary. New models are much better, as you can attest.

Go install yourself a Toto and see if you still agree with that statement. The ones I've installed work better than the sole 5 gal/flush model I have left. It's going very soon...... I used to have a plunger nearby until I installed the Toto's (Drake model I believe). Now I'm not even sure where the plunger is these days....I've not had to use it once in 2 years now. The newer toilets work much better than the earlier versions (low consumption models). Cheers, cc
# Fred # writes:

Clean them up (acid, then chlorine) and sell them on eBay. Big market for this grandfathered contraband.
pressure assist noisey, guess it ok if you live alone.
me i just want dependaple flushing with a hassle
# Fred # wrote:

Set it on the curb with a sign: $100.00.
You'll sell 'em all.
# Fred # wrote:

There are people out there who think old toilets are better. I was able to sell two old toilets for a modest price quickly by describing them as pre-1.6 gallon per flush on free online classifieds.
But neither one of these old toilets flushed anywhere near as well as my new Toto Drake (1.6 gpf).
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Whether the new toilets flush well has been determined to be a function, mainly, of the user's diet. Vegetarians generate a lot of "floaters" (tough to flush) whereas meat-eaters generate more "sinkers."
Remember, vegetables are not food. Vegetables are what food eats.