Old toilets

I'm rehabbing a few houses and will have about 6 working old toilets (some are as new as 5 years old but still the old 5 gal flush type) that is being replaced by new 1.3 gal toilets. Previously I just put a sledge hammer to it and take it to the dump. Is there a recycle place I could take it to in the Bay Area?

Reply to
# Fred #

Michael B

"# Fred #" wrote

You bet, this is something worth joining, and it's free!

Moisés Nacio

If you are responsible for maintaing the new toilets you are a IDIOT for replacing them!

Sorry to be blunt but the old 5 gallon flushers worked fine every time

Whatever new ones you install will have a added decoration:( A nice ugly plunger sitting nearby for quick use:(

Reply to
hallerb

That was true for the early low consumption units and is how they got such a bad reputation. The current crop of pressure assist models are pretty reliable if a little more expensive.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Yep that sloan valve works like a charm. I have 4 in my house for 8 plus years and no flappers to replace in all that time. Pretty much trouble free.

Reply to
Art

But why is pressure assist necessary? I have the cheapest possible

1.3 gal Toto in my camp and have yet to put anything into it that won't flush on the first try.

Reply to
frank1492

Clean them up (acid, then chlorine) and sell them on eBay. Big market for this grandfathered contraband.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

pressure assist noisey, guess it ok if you live alone.

me i just want dependaple flushing with a hassle

Reply to
hallerb

Used to be necessary. New models are much better, as you can attest.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Set it on the curb with a sign: $100.00.

You'll sell 'em all.

Reply to
HeyBub

There are people out there who think old toilets are better. I was able to sell two old toilets for a modest price quickly by describing them as pre-1.6 gallon per flush on free online classifieds.

But neither one of these old toilets flushed anywhere near as well as my new Toto Drake (1.6 gpf).

Reply to
yellowbirddog

Go install yourself a Toto and see if you still agree with that statement. The ones I've installed work better than the sole 5 gal/flush model I have left. It's going very soon...... I used to have a plunger nearby until I installed the Toto's (Drake model I believe). Now I'm not even sure where the plunger is these days....I've not had to use it once in 2 years now. The newer toilets work much better than the earlier versions (low consumption models). Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Whether the new toilets flush well has been determined to be a function, mainly, of the user's diet. Vegetarians generate a lot of "floaters" (tough to flush) whereas meat-eaters generate more "sinkers."

Remember, vegetables are not food. Vegetables are what food eats.

Reply to
HeyBub