old toilet suddenly leaks

I have an old toilet that was already in our house when we bought it. Never had a problem with it, but it also gets very little use. I cleaned around the inside and under the rim with some Lime Away, following the directions and letting it sit for about 10 minutes. After I flushed, left, and later returned, I noticed a big puddle on the floor. I know that the toilet did not overflow, so it must be leaking. It seems like it is coming from the base.
Anyone have any idea of what could have happened here, and what I should do? I am puzzled, especially since all I did was clean it, and barely even touched it...only with a brush. The toilet wasn't moved or rocked either. Thanks.
Gary
<< I know that the toilet did not overflow, so it must be leaking. It seems like it is coming from the base. >> << what should I do? >>
The obvious answer is replace the wax seal at the base.
<< The toilet wasn't moved or rocked either. >>
You did, but also didn't really notice it. Very likely the bolts at the base are loose, corroded or otherwise in trouble. Buy new ones with the wax seal and make sure you get brass, not brass plated steel. HTH
Joe