Old timer question

What was the old term for square nuts (note: NOT a medical condition) ?
Was it something like nibs?
Add pictures here
✖

Dunno, but they were often used with stove bolts.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Well, I'm not _quite_ "older than dirt" (altho creeping up on it) and never heard them called other than "square nuts".
I'll note that's what they're called in the Fastenal catalog as well.
✖
On Oct 31, 6:27 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Back in the 30's we called the things that went with stove bplts, stove nuts. When you went the hardware store for nuts, that's what you got (square) unless you specifically asked for hex nuts.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖
Joe wrote:

But a stove bolt nut, while square, isn't the same as a "regular" machined nut--they're stamped sheet, even the olden days.
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Sounds like a snack food.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

I just call them square nuts. Don't see them too much but one of my plastic draws in my storage bin has a shitload of them. All one size. Have had them a long time and don't know where I got them. Just the other day I had to use one for a bifold door track. Maybe next year I'll need another one for something.
Add pictures here
✖