Old timer needs help removing tub faucet stem

Howdy doody folks,

I need to replace washers, etc., in a tub facet and running into old = timers disease. The knob says Price Pfister but they were replaced and = the stem could be anything.

It's been a long time since I did this and am suffering from old timer's = syndrome compounded by Dunlap's disease (belly done lapped over my = belt)....

I removed the packing nut but can't budge the bonnet with a socket = wrench. Also tried turning stem with vice grips but can't budge it = either. I'm not trying real hard at this point just in case I'm fixing = to break something.

Can't find diddly squat on the Price Pfister site. Regular hardware = stores helpers are usual good help but not this time.

Anyway, I would appreciate some sage advice how to get the stem out.

Here are some photos of the stem. =20

Shown with packing nut loose

Still unassembled
From bottom - dark photo
Many thanks!

Bob snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Remove yore hat before sending

Reply to
Guv Bob

I need to replace washers, etc., in a tub facet and running into old timers disease. The knob says Price Pfister but they were replaced and the stem could be anything.

It's been a long time since I did this and am suffering from old timer's syndrome compounded by Dunlap's disease (belly done lapped over my belt)....

I removed the packing nut but can't budge the bonnet with a socket wrench. Also tried turning stem with vice grips but can't budge it either. I'm not trying real hard at this point just in case I'm fixing to break something.

Can't find diddly squat on the Price Pfister site. Regular hardware stores helpers are usual good help but not this time.

Anyway, I would appreciate some sage advice how to get the stem out.

Here are some photos of the stem.

Shown with packing nut loose

Still unassembled
From bottom - dark photo
Many thanks!

Bob snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Remove yore hat before sending

With the packing nut loose, just unscrew the stem, as like turning the water on. WW

Reply to
WW

The valve disk won't fit past bonnet hole. If he's replacing the washer the bonnet has to be removed. Stem should be in open position when removing or putting the bonnet on. Might be he's just not applying enough force on the wrench. Tapping the wrench with a hammer is a good method for this. The inner threads might be rocked up with minerals and the taps shatter that. The bonnets of this type I've had apart are on pretty tight. There's usually a flat softer metal washer/gasket bonnet seal. I've reused them with no problems. One thing to consider, though I haven't seen it, is a left hand bonnet thread. We've all seen that on the stems - hot turns one way, cold the other. I hate that.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Thanks, WW, Vic, Bill and Red. Will keep at it and post how it turns = out. Any more suggestions, please fire away.

Bob

I need to replace washers, etc., in a tub facet and running into old = timers disease. The knob says Price Pfister but they were replaced and = the stem could be anything.

It's been a long time since I did this and am suffering from old timer's = syndrome compounded by Dunlap's disease (belly done lapped over my = belt)....

I removed the packing nut but can't budge the bonnet with a socket = wrench. Also tried turning stem with vice grips but can't budge it = either. I'm not trying real hard at this point just in case I'm fixing = to break something.

Can't find diddly squat on the Price Pfister site. Regular hardware = stores helpers are usual good help but not this time.

Anyway, I would appreciate some sage advice how to get the stem out.

Here are some photos of the stem. =20

Shown with packing nut loose

Still unassembled
From bottom - dark photo