Old Threads

Page 2 of 3
On Sunday, April 6, 2014 12:41:50 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:

This was one of my regulars of the time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikrM5zjA2d8
So I agree with you...the commercials as part of the episode was upsetting...but interesting in a nostalgic way!
On 04/06/2014 12:54 PM, Bob_Villa wrote:

Most people find TV commercials annoying. Oddly though, when I went to England a number of years ago I found the commercials vastly entertaining. Though they were no doubt annoying to the English, I looked at them as an outsider and they seemed so over the top I oculd only view them as humor.
When I got home I changed my perspective and just told myself when watching them, this is being done as a complete parody and I actually was able to enjoy them for a short time.
The last time a watched TV though I was disgusted with the commercials they were just plain gross...I won't elaborate.
On 04/06/2014 12:41 PM, rbowman wrote:

Very interesting post there. I threw out my TV 25 years ago and don't miss it.
Interestingly I recently watched a few old movies that Lucille Ball was in and she was really a great actress. She usually played an intelligent red head rather than a dumb blond. She also felt that a part was a part and was not afraid later to do comedy.
I read her (dictated) autobiography and the Lucy- Desi team had a real interest in quality. Desi Arnaz filmed all the shows so that when they were rebroadcast they'd be of higher quality as compared to Kinescope. Since it required film editing and splicing it would have been more difficult and expensive I'd imagine.
Desilu was responsible for a lot of good programming
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desilu_Productions
BTW: Just because TV is pretty much a vast wasteland, that is not to say all TV programming is bad. My wife and I have seen Big Bang Theory and 30 Rock and really like those shows.
On Sunday, April 6, 2014 11:19:27 AM UTC-7, philo  wrote:

Because you shot it while dressed in an Elvis cape?
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5085/5336577643_4d94eb839a.jpg
I have this very model TV -- from 1976, and watch it in the garage (who's going to steal it?). It hasn't needed a repair in 10-12 years. OTOH the digital tuner box on top of it failed in its first 2 years. And yes, the TV cabinet is genuine fake wood grain.
On 04/06/2014 09:02 PM, snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

The TV I threw out was pretty much like that.
No fake wood grain though, all plastic.
Too bad about the fat Elvis, he was better back in the 50's
Joe Bento wrote:

Some academics came up with the theory that the Greeks were more or less color blind. Part of it was Homer only mentions three colors and babbles about the 'wine red sea'. This was reinforced by the Greek statuary that was unadorned marble.
The latter idea was blown away by more sophisticated analyses of the statues. It seems they were originally painted with pigments that would make Mexican religious statuary look conservative.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My uncle was in the business, so when we'd go up to his place he'd plunk me in front of the tube tester with a box of tubes he'd pulled from dead receivers. I thought it was a big deal and it kept me out of trouble while the adults drank beer and shot the breeze.
On 4/6/2014 12:54 PM, rbowman wrote:

That sure would keep me out of trouble. I used to love tube testing. These new chips are no fun.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Yes, prior to then, it was very hard to tell a blonde from a redhead. The second's hair was just a shade or two darker.
Also, it led to many mistaken deaths during the Civil War.

You seem like a smart guy. The recruiter told me I was probably smart and could get assigned to missiles in Turkey or Germany. I don't know because I failed the physical.
Where did they assign you?
On 04/06/2014 03:59 PM, micky wrote:

<snip>

Missiles in Germany.
At the end of basic training I was told that I'd be in air defense artillery and would not be needed in Vietnam. I breathed a huge sigh of relief.
I drove a tracked missile launcher:
https://www.google.com/search?q=chaparral+missile&client=ubuntu-browser&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=JBU62lJ4fu2AW3yYDACA&ved CoQsAQ&biw69&bih3
Most of the people in my unit were drafted out of engineering or technical schools. Even though we had college deferments, they drafted anyone who ...in their words...were not serious students.
I was going to appeal, but truth is, they were right. I figured I might as well just get it over with.
We were thankful for not being shipped off to Vietnam...but at the same time, we felt kind of useless over in Germany...merely showing the USSR our presence.
With the recent events in the Ukraine I now realize that if we were not there, the USSR would have just marched right in...so possibly we did some good after all.
Even in 1970, the effect of WW-II was still present. One thing I really noticed is that there were almost no men of my father's age. Most were killed in the war or figured out a way to get the hell out of there.

As my mother and many people put it, We're going to wait until color is perfected.

IIRC, the Sony Trinitron had the first reliably good color convergence, but other makers caught up.

LOL
I first saw a touch-tone phone at a farm show in 1957. It was a long time before Bell Telephone was offering them. One model had plastic cards,sort of the size of credit cards, with 11? rows of holes for each of the 10 buttons. You'd push the card into the phone, and when ready to dial, push a button and the card would pop out, "dialing" numbers as is went.
On 4/6/14, 5:05 PM, micky wrote:

Picture of Card Dialer here:
http://www.paul-f.com/we/F58554.jpg
On Sunday, April 6, 2014 6:57:21 AM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'll send you the answers real soon. Leave your fax machine on.
On 4/6/2014 8:46 PM, snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

--
.
Christopher A. Young
micky wrote:

iirc, the Bell Pavillion at the 1964 New York World's Fair had a kiosk where you could race each other to see which was faster, the rotary phone or the new fangled touch-tone.
snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

Don't laugh. We had a minor crisis last month when we upgraded a client's server to Server 2012. There is an applicatiob, VSI-FAX, whose claim to fame is you can automate sending reports by fax, but the version they had wouldn't work on the new OS. Most of the reports were being emailed, but they still had a few jurisdictions clinging to their fax machines.

I remember those, in new magazines.

Darn right. I have MeTV now, a broadcast channel, no cable needed,, and the many of the scripts for Wagon Train are really good. Many of the westerns have real suspense, when one can think of more than two endings from any particular point, or something goes wrong and they have to try something else. It's not obvious.
Leave it to Beaver is excellent, both scripts and acting, especially by the Beaver and Wally.
I guess Combat was from the 60's but it has good scripts and acting and is almost real enough to make one hate war.
Lots of other good shows, but since I record 5 hours of Wagon Train and 5 hours of Beaver a week, I don't have time to watch much more.

Sho' 'nuff.
Thanks.
Of course that phone had 12 buttons and originally touch-tone had only 10.

Sounds right. Maybe they spent the 7 years in between fixing up the exchanges so they could process touch-tone dialing.