Old Threads

Page 1 of 3
Which tube should I replace, in my black and white TV?
How can I get a new needle for my phonograph?
How can I clean the heads on my eight track player?
What can I use, to clean the nib on my quill pen? It's stainless, with a split tip.
How does one clean the touch hole of a flintlock?
What's the best brand of pooper scooper for my dinosaur?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 04/06/2014 09:57 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

"black and while" is extraneous they didn't know about color TV in the olden times.
BTW: I wonder how many here knew about the very early TV's
http://www.earlytelevision.org/mechanical.html
On 4/6/2014 8:11 AM, philo wrote:

Remember the old Calvin and Hobbes comic about the invention of color? The world didn't turn to color until about 1930, and it was a pretty grainy color too, for a while.
Joe
On 04/06/2014 10:23 AM, Joe Bento wrote:

I don't recall that, but as a young kid I recall watching the Wizard of Oz for the first time on a B&W tv.
When a big deal was being made of everything turning to color I did not know what was going on it all looked the same to me.
Seeing that in a movie theater back in 1939 would probably have been pretty impressive though!
On 4/6/2014 9:11 AM, philo wrote:

I'd not considered that, about them not knowing about color. I guess that's part of the problem of living in the first United States.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 04/06/2014 10:33 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Back in those days, just having a TV was so amazing no one even thought about color. When color TV's were first available they were very expensive and the quality was poor...so most people stayed with B&W.
Color TV's did not become popular until the late 60's when the price dropped and the quality rose.
BTW: My father told me he first saw television in 1949. He watched a boxing match on (probably) an 8 inch screen and did not think TV was going to catch on.
On 4/6/2014 9:33 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hey Stormin... You should be watching General Conference, not posting on Usenet. :-)
On 4/6/2014 12:34 PM, Joe Bento wrote:

I set up the projector, and then went to lunch with my Mom. I'll catch the second session at the chapel. No worries, I'll be fine. You know I'm fine as long as I don't curse and all that crap.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 4/6/2014 1:02 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I live at "ground zero" and in fact commute to work each day 30 miles to downtown Salt Lake.
Here, all the sessions are shown on broadcast TV. Right now between sessions, there's an interesting program about BYU Jerusalem and life in the ancient city.
Enjoy your day.
Joe, N6DGY
On 4/6/2014 1:39 PM, Joe Bento wrote:

That's got to be fun to be so close to the action. I think Dufas and I are going to have to give you some trouble about your signature line, you call me (or call yourself?) N-word and tell me to have a good day.
--
.
Chris, WHITEGOODDAY
On 4/6/2014 9:11 AM, philo wrote:

Um, wuts a "black and while"? Is that something that happens while being black? o_O
TDD
On 4/6/2014 10:57 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Try the 6AU6 as that is one of the more common ones to go.
We used to pull the tubes and take them to a Pep Boy store where you can test them and buy a replacement. That is a real number that popped out of a cell way back in my brain.
On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 09:57:21 -0500, Stormin Mormon
The horizontal output tube 12CU6

Chuck up a 4d finish nail in your drill and grind a nice point on it then cut to size.

Long Q tip type swab and alcohol

Hot water

Touch hole pick.

Just use a lawn bag, turned inside out over both hands.

Hey, lets co author a book. Bravo!
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 04/06/2014 10:57 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

What's the best solar-powered downdraft vent for my outhouse?
On 4/6/14, 11:42 AM, Bubba wrote:

What is this "solar power" you speak of ? Mine is wind-driven ;-)
BTW, my windmill-powered wi-fi router is too slow for Netflix streaming. I have a creek (stream ?) nearby, would a water-wheel version be any better ?

My brother still has the photos he took of the B&W footage of the first moon landing in 1969. He started planning the project about a month in advance by taking pictures of the TV in various lighting conditions, keeping a log of what set up he used for each picture on the roll. He then sent them out to be developed and compared the results to his log so he would know the best lighting to use on July 20.
He then sat in front of the TV snapping picture after picture. My, how things have changed!
On 04/06/2014 11:05 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

IIRC, many of the tapes were re-used and would have been lost for good if other countries had not recorded the event.
As to those photos your bother took from the TV screen, they are probably valuable collector's items and I'd be /very/ much interested to know if any are available. I am a photography curator and will be doing a show in October. Please email me if your brother would allow the display of copies of those photos.
My wife is a gallery director and she allows me to curate a photography show every 18 months
http://gallerygrand.org/
my gmail addy is philo565
Also: In the early days before video tape, shows were recorded by filming right off a studio monitor. Kinescope recording was quite poor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinescope
Finally: All my life I had waited for the day man would go to the moon. Unfortunately that day was spoiled by the fact that I was inducted into the US Army the next day. I assumed I was going to soon be killed in Vietnam.

I was discussing this on Facebook. When the ground tracking stations were switching from goldstone ca. To Australia as the earth turned, they started tracking there. Actually a large non nasa dish down there was also tracking which could get a better signal. One of the stations began video taping from a camera aimed on the main slow scan monitor. Recently they were looking for the original slow scan data tape of the event. There was a large search. They found out it was erased to save taping costs. The backup video recording was resurrected. It was this which was used on a NASA special. The image on everyone's tv was not nearly as good as original downloads in real time. Remembering 6 astronaut moon landings.
The movie, the dish, had some of the replay of the stations activities.
Greg
philo wrote:

My uncle was in the business so we had one very early. I can't remember the brand, but it was a bulky countertop model with a maybe a 8" screen, not the furniture types that TVs became later in the '50s. We were also lucky to have a local channel, WRGB. That had grown out of W2XB, an experimental station at General Electric Schenectady that had first broadcast in 1928.
When color first came out, it drove my uncle nuts. Those were still the days when TV repairmen made housecalls and could often fix the set in place. The biggest problem was adjusting the color controls so Uncle Milty's face wasn't magenta. It required a certain artistic flair that's never run in the family.
There was also a scam that ran in the magazines of the day. For an amazingly low price you could colorize your existing black and white TV. It consisted of a plastic overlay you stuck to the screen. The picture was in color, but what color was another story.
My memories of '50s TV programming was it was superior to most of what you see today. I wrote it off as the nostalgic memories of a young kid where everything was bigger and shinier. However, after watching DVDs of some of the old broadcast shows, I really thing they were better than the current drivel.