Old Style Entry Door

I need to replace our back door and want something like what I have now; a = solid door with one small square window about 8" on a side up at face level= . (The window is actually rotated 45 degrees so it looks like a diamond, bu= t square is fine, too.)

I've searched on the Internet, had a remodeler out to bid on it, and looked= at the big box stores, but all the entry doors these days seem to have lar= ge windows, generally of ornate glass that you can't really see through tha= t well. I just want a small, clear window that someone can't break out and = climb through.=20

Does anyone know of a source for such things?

Reply to
Pavel314

a solid door with one small square window about 8" on a side up at face lev= el. (The window is actually rotated 45 degrees so it looks like a diamond, = but square is fine, too.)

ed at the big box stores, but all the entry doors these days seem to have l= arge windows, generally of ornate glass that you can't really see through t= hat well. I just want a small, clear window that someone can't break out an= d climb through.

The name for what you want is a speakeasy. Google Shopping or Images for =93door with speakeasy=94 or just plain =93speakeasy=94. Unless you=92r= e willing to cut your own window I don=92t think you=92re going to be able to find one with that exact configuration. Is there any particular reason the window has to be that exact way?

Reply to
Molly Brown

a solid door with one small square window about 8" on a side up at face lev= el. (The window is actually rotated 45 degrees so it looks like a diamond, = but square is fine, too.)

ed at the big box stores, but all the entry doors these days seem to have l= arge windows, generally of ornate glass that you can't really see through t= hat well. I just want a small, clear window that someone can't break out an= d climb through.

The name for what you want is a speakeasy. Google Shopping or Images for =93door with speakeasy=94 or just plain =93speakeasy door=94. Unless you=92re willing to cut your own window I don=92t think you=92re going to b= e able to find one with that exact configuration. Is there any particular reason the window has to be that exact way?

Reply to
Molly Brown

solid door with one small square window about 8" on a side up at face level. (The window is actually rotated 45 degrees so it looks like a diamond, but square is fine, too.)

at the big box stores, but all the entry doors these days seem to have large windows, generally of ornate glass that you can't really see through that well. I just want a small, clear window that someone can't break out and climb through.

Any GOOD door and window installation company can do it for you. You won't get it from a Big Box store. In my area I know at least 4 places I could get either wood, steel, or fiberglass slab doors with the diamond window installed. Plain glass, or bevelled edge.

Reply to
clare

face level. (The window is actually rotated 45 degrees so it looks like a diamond, but square is fine, too.) ...

Strictly speaking, that isn't...a speakeasy traditionally is an opening not just a small lite. There is a name; it doesn't come to me the word I'm looking for at the moment.

I'm surprised they aren't in stock; I suppose things come and go out of style and they're currently out. I bought one at Lowes for the basement when replaced original in house in TN in basement off the floor of precisely OP's quest. Of course, that was 20 yr or more ago now...

To OP--assuming you're in a place of any size at all there should be at least one or more local manufacturers of fiberglass and/or metal doors that can easily do what you want. Wood may be harder to find but it isn't that hard to do if are relatively handy in a slab. Have a glass shop make the double pane or adapt one from the aforementioned door shops for the purpose.

--

Reply to
dpb

a solid door with one small square window about 8" on a side up at face lev= el. (The window is actually rotated 45 degrees so it looks like a diamond, = but square is fine, too.)

ed at the big box stores, but all the entry doors these days seem to have l= arge windows, generally of ornate glass that you can't really see through t= hat well. I just want a small, clear window that someone can't break out an= d climb through.

Just get a solid wood door and have a carpenter insert whatever size window you want where ever you want it.

Reply to
hrhofmann

You mean like this?

or

Hell Toupee

Thank you, that's exactly what I need. The great thing about this group is that there's always someone out there who has the answer you need.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314