Old Style Entry Door

I need to replace our back door and want something like what I have now; a solid door with one small square window about 8" on a side up at face level. (The window is actually rotated 45 degrees so it looks like a diamond, but square is fine, too.)
I've searched on the Internet, had a remodeler out to bid on it, and looked at the big box stores, but all the entry doors these days seem to have large windows, generally of ornate glass that you can't really see through that well. I just want a small, clear window that someone can't break out and climb through.
Does anyone know of a source for such things?
Add pictures here
✖

The name for what you want is a speakeasy. Google Shopping or Images for “door with speakeasy” or just plain “speakeasy”. Unless you’re willing to cut your own window I don’t think you’re going to be able to find one with that exact configuration. Is there any particular reason the window has to be that exact way?
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 13:52:28 -0700 (PDT), Molly Brown

solid door with one small square window about 8" on a side up at face level. (The window is actually rotated 45 degrees so it looks like a diamond, but square is fine, too.)

at the big box stores, but all the entry doors these days seem to have large windows, generally of ornate glass that you can't really see through that well. I just want a small, clear window that someone can't break out and climb through.

Any GOOD door and window installation company can do it for you. You won't get it from a Big Box store. In my area I know at least 4 places I could get either wood, steel, or fiberglass slab doors with the diamond window installed. Plain glass, or bevelled edge.
Add pictures here
✖
On 6/12/2012 3:52 PM, Molly Brown wrote:

face level. (The window is actually rotated 45 degrees so it looks like a diamond, but square is fine, too.) ...

Strictly speaking, that isn't...a speakeasy traditionally is an opening not just a small lite. There is a name; it doesn't come to me the word I'm looking for at the moment.
I'm surprised they aren't in stock; I suppose things come and go out of style and they're currently out. I bought one at Lowes for the basement when replaced original in house in TN in basement off the floor of precisely OP's quest. Of course, that was 20 yr or more ago now...
To OP--assuming you're in a place of any size at all there should be at least one or more local manufacturers of fiberglass and/or metal doors that can easily do what you want. Wood may be harder to find but it isn't that hard to do if are relatively handy in a slab. Have a glass shop make the double pane or adapt one from the aforementioned door shops for the purpose.
✖

The name for what you want is a speakeasy. Google Shopping or Images for “door with speakeasy” or just plain “speakeasy door”. Unless you’re willing to cut your own window I don’t think you’re going to be able to find one with that exact configuration. Is there any particular reason the window has to be that exact way?
Add pictures here
✖

Just get a solid wood door and have a carpenter insert whatever size window you want where ever you want it.
Add pictures here
✖
On 6/12/2012 3:40 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

You mean like this?
http://www.menards.com/main/mastercraft-exterior-doors/24-ga-steel-prehung-door-with-10-in-x-9-in-lite-left-swing/p-1652488.htm
or http://tinyurl.com/6nz86xh
Add pictures here
✖
On Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:23:18 AM UTC-4, Hell Toupee wrote:

http://www.menards.com/main/mastercraft-exterior-doors/24-ga-steel-prehung-door-with-10-in-x-9-in-lite-left-swing/p-1652488.htm
Thank you, that's exactly what I need. The great thing about this group is that there's always someone out there who has the answer you need.
Paul
Add pictures here
✖