Old septic tank vent?

My house was connected to the city sewer about 10 years ago (I bought it last year from an estate). In the basement there still is a stub from the old soil stack and a vent line connected to the new vent stack. The previous owners passed away and the neighbors don't remember where the septic tank was and whether it was collapsed or filled. Can I cut and seal the old vent stack? After 10 years there shouldn't be much to vent.

EJ

Reply to
EJ

Actually it is very much in the way of my way into the basement since it runs across the landing of my stairs. I am 6'3" and the horizontal run of the vent is at 6'2", so it skins the top of my already bald head every time I forget about it (let's forget how often that is...). Since it is a 2" cast iron it will hold only very small firearms.

Thanks for the advice. I will dig a few inches down under the floor, cut the pipe and fill it with hydraulic cement.

EJ

Reply to
EJ