Old Septic Tank Caved in

Page 2 of 2

That's why California requires a concrete cover over all caskets.
mm wrote:

The boulders will give a margin of safety compared to a big hole that you'd not be able to climb out of. Boulders piled near the top prevent you from falling very far.

if you fill it in with the proper material settling will be minimal.
I had a execuvation around my foundation for water control. I HAD to have that area backfilled to grade with gravel.
so the area didnt sink since a sidewalk was going on top.
someone had done this before and the sidewalk was terrible although fairly new. cracked and pitched inward on the house side.
boulders are fine if you dont mind a lifetime fill project.
every time you add dirt is a hassle resedding, and costly too. besides a uneven trip hazard cutting grass......

oulders piled near the top prevent you from

No, you are dead wrong on this. A boulder is a quick and efficient way to start this. Excellent idea. Of course you must also add a little sand and dirt all sizes of rocks to go with the boulder.
But a bolder is the best and quickest way to start filling any hole. Very lucky to have one and it will work perfectly when used with a rich mix of other sized material.
Anyone who disagrees with that is probably a complete and worthless idiot who has never filled a hole in their life (except in their imagination).

I probably would have opened it up and filled it with crushed rock, It's a pretty dangerous sitiuation to have a huge viod underground lined with steel that wil eventually rot away.
The previous owners didn't want to spend anything on tihs house. I bouht the place when I was an unsuspecting kid. For example, these cheap skates woudln'teven spring for a 3 prong plug for the dryer. The hard wired it into the fuse box. Very dangerous and illegal. Had all of this stuff fixed.
On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 20:20:44 -0500, "J.A. Michel"

Yes, or you will just keep adding top soil until the entire thing is filled. There is a procedure at: http://www.csd-1.com/s2s.html
mstrspy wrote:

<snip>
Really, really bad idea. Before going further, get a load of sand (that's SAND!) and start filling it. Bank run gravel may settle eventually, but sand will compact between the rocks many times faster. Keep it a foot below grade until next summer, then do the topsoil and grass seed routine.
HTH
Joe
That's what I was thinking, sand, but I had no sand on hand this weekend and needed to fill that hole with something.
A few years back, I found another similar hole but smaller. Did the same thing, filled it with bolders and I haven' seen any errosion.
I'm not sure why that other hole was there. Does a typical septic system have two chambers spread appart?

Could have. One actual septic tanks, another smaller tank that acts like a distribution box at the drainfield.

What you did was fine. Excellent in fact. Just put 6 inches of topsoil and grass sod over your 6 inch deep depression for now and then add sand or topsoil as it continues to settle over the next few years.
You know our land is continually moving and corrections have to be made even in those places where there was no hole. Telephone poles and fences show leaning posts after just a very few years and animals such as moles, gophers, ground hogs and armadillos change our landscape. My neighbors buy a couple of cubic yards of sandy loam to level their places again.

big boulders bad, as the dirt he planned putting on top filters down it migrates into the old leach field, and requires continiuos replacement.
lots of old septic tanks were reused as a leach field for downspout drains. hopefully thats not the case here.
abandoned and forgotten septic tanks and pits left over from sewer disposal are pretty common.
these were abandoned long before laws were enacted on proper disposal.
my best friend uses his old tank for downspout water disposal. I saw in the tank recently his dad filled it with garbage when it was taken out of service over 50 years ago. he dug it up to check the lid, which was still in remarkably good condition for its over 100 year age.
my buddy was concerned the lid might be rotting.
truckload of sand way cheaper than bags
I think if he sods it, a good estimate is maybe 3 rains and 2 waterings ie. about 3 months and it will stabilize forever. You are way out of line on your concerns.

Your wrong:(
My home was built on farmland in 1950/ A hand dug well was in my back yard and filled with rock and boulders at that time 1950. a neighbor watched it being filled in.......
I moved here in 1972 and it was still the neighborhood dirt dump site and continued to be till the 1990s. I added many truckloads of dirt to finally stabilize it.
The water tends to carry the fill away. Note the OP tank had water in it draining no doubt to the original field.
Just dump dirt boulders in there and it will endlessely sink

So you think you have water running through the bottom washing the dirt out? See any difference between that and an abandonded septic tank?
If it is as bad as you say it is, why haven't you fixed it? Dig down a couple feet and pour a concrete cap is one quick and easy solution.
Harry K

In my case the sink area was a useful place to dispose of stuff, rocks and dirt, till I tired of it , at one point it became a natural pond when it rained. family concerned about mosquitoes:(
So I finally finshed filling it in with several truckloads of topsoil.
about 10 years later I put a 16 by 20 foot shed with concrete floor on the site. it had quit sinking by then.

Seems to me, you should have waited until you actually had mosquitoes before filling it. The mosquitoes you had would have died in a couple days and no more would have bred iiuc.

mine sank from 1950 till 1990, it was a hand dug well.
mstrspy wrote:

I have had to do away with four septic tanks. According to the TNRCC (Texas natural resource conservation commission) which is one of the agencies that has jurisdiction over this, the proper method is as follows:
Open the top and have the contents pumped by a licensed septic company. Fill with sand to within one foot of the top. Cover with dirt.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.