Old Sears, Roebuck & Co. table saw

Model # 113.27520 with matching stand. Weighs a ton. Looked it up at Sears parts direct and the only parts they have are bolts and washers, and a newer miter gauge that will work (I suppose many will work). I was surprised it showed a parts diagram at all!

It is missing the motor and maybe part of the motor mount but I can make a mount. It is also missing the rip fence and the miter gauge but Sears has a replacement for the miter gauge. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to make, or adapt a rip fence. Looks like the original had a geared lever to turn since in the front it has teeth along the bottom.

I've been using it as a table top and a grinder stand. Is it worth getting it up and running again? I have a Ryobi BTS20 that my BIL gave me and I don't do a lot of precise work, in fact I don't do much work at all ;-) For sure I won't toss it out but not sure if it's worth putting the money and time into it.

Reply to
Tony

I have pretty much that saw, with all the parts, in working order. I inherited it from my father who was a cabinet maker, .Ii use it just enough to keep the rust dowm on the table top, not enough to be any sort of expert. I found these pictures on the web, mine has the rolling sheet metal base, but otherwise similar. The fence slides on mine, & clamps like the one in the photos.

Eric in North TX

I had one of those but it was only 8".....cast iron table & wings...weighed a TON!

Still had the fence and motor mount & decent motor ..... too heavy for me, I have an 8" makita portable... good enough for the occasional rip.

I gave the Craftsman to a former student, he was young enough & strong enough to deal with it.

Unless the Craftsman is bigger (10" ?) than your Ryobi or you'd have fun fixing it. I'd forget fixing it & sell it on craigslist "as is" and let someone else put the time into it.

cheers Bob Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Were those once popular saws? I have the *exact* same saw in my garage, but without a stand. It sits on a workbench. All of the parts are there, and it works just fine. And it will cut just about anything.

Reply to
Zootal

That sure looks like it except mine is copper colored, looks like original paint. And along the front is a long "rack" gear with ruler like measurements on it. I'm guessing that to move the rip fence it had a handle and gear. I don't know what else the rack gear could have been for if not part of the rip fence.

Reply to
Tony

It looks a lot like the old 9" saw my father gave me. Blades were too hard to find, which started me on the freebie 10" sears saw project. Yes, there was a knob on the bottom of the fence you turned for small adjustments.

Reply to
Bob F

Really depends on what you plan to do with it. Not a good choice for fine furniture. Without a decent fence the saw has little value, but maybe you can make one and a few other jigs that ride in the miter slot for very little money. "Heavy" is a good thing and cast iron top is much better than a pressed metal top. Often accessories for a table saw will fit many brands, and they can become expensive.

Reply to
Phisherman