Old power tools increase in value

I think old power tools will increase in value as time passes. It's not the antique value, but rather the fact that they no longer make affordable decent power tools. For example, have you tried to find a power drill that stiill uses a key in the chuck lately? Good luck, they almost all have those hand tightened chucks. Try to drill thru a piece of heavy steel with one of those, and you'll soon find that you can not do it. You'll wear the flesh off your hand trying to tighten that damn chuck, and will finally be forced to borrow or rent an OLD drill with a key, or take the job to a metal shop. Those hand tightened chucks are a complete joke adn are useless. Personally, I consider these so called "tools" are really nothing more than TOYS.

On the positive side, you can still buy keyed chuck drills, but be prepared to spend a fortune. The top name brands such as "Milwaukee Tools" still are made with keyed chucks, but they are pricey. For a professional, they are worth the cost, but not for the average homeowner doing a few repairs. This means that you must either find an old drill at a garage sale, or just rent a drill from a local tool rental place.

And these battery powered tools are even worse. In fact I refuse to call these things "Tools". They are and always will be nothing more than "TOYS". They work great for a 12 year old kid wanting to build a birdhouse. Try to use these on a serious home repair project and you will likely do what I did with mine, which is toss the goddamn thing in the garbage. If there's anything more frustrating than trying to finish a job and the damn tool runs out of battery power, please let me know. Unless you have at least 3 batteries for each tool, and the desire to keep running to a power source to recharge batteries, forget them. They're worthless. You may as well just run a cord from the power source and use a plug in tool to begin. I dont care if they are a 6 volt or a 24 volt tool, they all lack power and all need constant battery recharging. And prepare to go broke buying batteries. The batteries normally cost nearly as much as the whole tool. Sure, they are handy when you have to go across the road to attach your rural mailbox to a post and it's too far to run an extension cord, but face it, you're putting in four screws. Try to put in 400 screws and you'll be running back to the house at least ten times to recharge batteries. Worse yet, you will NOT find a battery drill with a keyed chuck, period.

It seems that each and every day I am learning to appreciate the old power tools from the 1960's thru 80's more and more. I do my best to keep them in good condition, because in the future they will become more and more valuable as the supply vanishes from garage sales and auctions. When all the junk tools from the 1990's and 2000s are long buried in garbage dumps, those of us with the older tools will be lucky to still own them.

Reply to
larry_w

I just bought a new 10amp corded dewalt drill at lowes. It has a key. Soldly built. So far it's been fine. Extremely powerful. I find I have to hold it pretty tight in situations with spade or hole saw bits where the bit might catch. $120. Is that too expensive? My last corded drill lasted 20 years so I'm expecting this one to do the same.

I use my battery powered tools for smaller projects. But for all day work, I agree the battery powered stuff is sometimes a pain.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I have about 14 Porter Cable, Made in Usa, 120v tools that work fine. I now buy Made in USA Ridgid 12-18v battery tools with lifetime warranty, even on batteries. 400 screws is easy for a 18v 3a LiIon pack. The new LiIon packs are 2.5x more powerfull and a quality tool isnt a toy. All I use regularly is my battery tools, for heavy drilling or whatever then sure out comes the 120v stuff. If I went to a garage sale and saw old Milwaukee or PC , I would buy it. But the quality of some battery stuff is commercial, like Hilte, and the warranty Ridgid have cant be beat.

Reply to
ransley

I also hate cordless tool and keyless chucks.

Reply to
zzyzzx

Ace Hardware and Amazon both sell replacement Jacob's Keyed Chucks.

Reply to
zzyzzx

I have a good assortment of "experienced" quality power tools I've picked up cheap at garage sales with small problems and the replacement parts required have all been available for peanuts. Better than even the current "quality" tools.

Reply to
clare

OMG, I guess I have to break out the old Thor D handle. I don't think so. There is more to a drill than just being built like a tank. Pound for pound I'll take a new commercial quality drill any day over those old anchors. As far as cordless driver drills, they're the best thing since sliced bread, and although I only get about two years out of one, they get used EVERY day and have plenty of power. I just bought a new Makita lithium, really compact driver drill. Can't wait to use it, but I still have some life left in my current Dewalt, which I have to put out to pasture first.

Reply to
RBM

And when the key holder breaks and you loose the key, you then hate keys. I have an old Rockwell circ saw, it took me 10 yrs to finally find the special wrench needed to replace my 20 yr old blade, and I have several drills I cant use because I lost those dam keys. My ridgids have Jacobs keyless chucks, they do metal fine.

Reply to
ransley

"RBM" wrote in news:4c7460bd$0$4983$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

why not just buy a replacement keyed chuck for your drill/driver?

I'd also have battery packs rebuilt with new cells if I really liked the tool and it still worked well other than the battery packs.

a little survey on battery packs; how are the NiMH packs doing? Do they hold up well? (fast-charged packs,

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Replacement keys are easy to find in the stores. I have a vintage Rockwell table saw. When I needed to change the blade, I used one of my bicycle wrenches and changing the blade was actually pretty easy. Finding a replacement 8" blade was not.

Reply to
zzyzzx

It's better to put things out to pasture with some life left to them so they can enjoy the pasture. Not after they're dead.

The little Makita lithiums are great. I don't think I'd have the discipline to wait to put it into use.

RicodJour

It's better to put things out to pasture with some life left to them so they can enjoy the pasture. Not after they're dead.

The little Makita lithiums are great. I don't think I'd have the discipline to wait to put it into use.

Well, I also bought one of those new Makita digital contractor radios, so I'm at least using the batteries. I'm actually pretty happy with the current Dewalt, the tool at least, their batteries suck, in fact, the ones I'm using in it now are some Chinese spin-offs. The chuck is dying, but I'll get every bit of life out of it.

Reply to
RBM

FOr crying out loud, any hardware store sells replacement keys for drills at about $2 a piece. If you attach them to the cord on a portable drill, and make a holder on a drill press, you wont lose em.

Reply to
jw