Old PC router

Page 3 of 3

Run it until it fails.
You can get brand new imports for very little.

I would rather repress bearings and keep that Made in USA sticker than by some china crap thats a cheap PC knock off.
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:46:15 -0700 (PDT), ransley

I'd (and have in the past) gladly spend twice what a cheap Chinese piece of crapola costs to refurb a good piece of honest North American machinery..

In case you haven't noticed there are one or two smart-a**s here. On any given day I am too :^}
However, you do have a couple of good comments above. Turn the shaft by had for a minute or two and if it feels reasonably smooth blip the switch a few times. Listen to the router carefully as it slows down. If you don't hear, or feel, signs of roughness, start it up and let it run for a few seconds. Still no noise --- go ahead and try it with wood.
Sealed bearings are sealed and the lubrication might be as good now as when the machine was new. If you feel roughness or if the motor sounds like it is straining, or slowing down with power applied, park it and order some new bearings.
I have a 70's vintage Craftsman that was stored for years. I was thinking about buying another router to supplement up my other machines a few years ago and remembered it. I started using it again after several years in the box and it has never missed a beat.
RonB