Old PC router

Page 1 of 3

I have a old PC router that hasnt been used since 85, im sure the bearings are dry, should I attempt to grease or lube them in any way before using it, im worried the top bearing would throw out grease and ruin the motor, or should I run it till they squeak and burn.
Most PC routers are electronic, and don't have a motor. Maybe a tiny bit of cleaning of the ethernet cables, but shouldn't need heavy grease.
Since when did PC routers have bearings?
Seeing as it's 15 years old, it's probably got a rather slow baud rate.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Whooooooooooshhhhhhhhhhh

I originally thought that was some mormon humor... well, hoping it was humor..... If it wadn't..... holy shit....
--
EA

I'm hoping someone will say "Hey, Ransley, more information is good."
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You were kidding on the computer thing, werent you.
You were totally not specific with your information, weren't you.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I honestly didnt think, I guess my mind is on tools. but mentioning bearings needing grease points away from that computer thing, I can see how my statement of PC router should have been clearer, sorrry.
Hey, you can't apologize! This is usenet!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

PC as in Porter Cable - and that old it WAS actually Porter Cable- not the crappy quasi-Black and Decker crap that gets the name put on it today.
On Mar 27, 9:45am, "Stormin Mormon"

Porter Cable -- PC.
ransley wrote:

Politically Correct -- PC.
TDD
So, Ransley wants to grease politically correct routers? That makes for mental images that are not G-rated.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Perpetual Confusion -- PC.

So when they say, "I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my idea, they're talking about power tools?
Yes, that would be Porter Cable. See? I'm slowly learning.
Windows 7 are double pane, argon insulated.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
ransley wrote:

They're a sealed bearing, can't really effectively lube them. I'd see what it feels like by hand and try a quick on/off test and see what sounds like.
There's really little to be lost by simply running it; either they're good still or they're not and you'll hear that very quickly.
A little thin lube could help temporarily if they're just a little dry but won't make any big difference one way or another to overall condition.
Generally, one can find replacement bearings for them at local bearing distributors fairly inexpensively w/o having to go thru PC or other mail order.

You should get better answers on rec.woodworking. WW