Old or New

Having lived in my house for a year now I've gone through a tremdous amount of work and learning to bring it up to what I consider livable and comfortable. A year must seem like a blip on the radar for most of you all, but for me it has been a world changing experience. I've replaced my plumbing, re-wired circuits, painted (something you don't do in an apartment), replaced windows, cleaned gutters, done drywalling (fairly well), installed lighting, installed insulation, etc etc etc etc... All of which were things I'd never done before.

Given what I've learned and how I feel about the subject now, I think if I had to do it all over again I'd still go for an existing house rather than buying a McMansion or buying a house that sits on a 1/8 acre plot (standard size lot in my area). I find that I derive a great deal of satisfaction repairing and working on an older home, rather than buying a new house and calling out a repairman when something goes wrong.

There are some things that I simply won't touch, the panel, the water service, a patio door. But for most everything else I really enjoy fixing them or replacing them with something more to my liking. I hated it while doing the work FOR THE FIRST TIME, but subsequent jobs were a joy - mostly because of the experience of doing it the first time and being able to apply my knowledge learned.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Hi, Never lived in a second hand house. I always have my own custom designed/built house on a lot I chose. Still after 5 times doing it, did not get perfect one yet. Now getting too old to try one more, LOL! One thing no trade people can bully me who has as good or better knowledge/experience in house building/maintenance. I have a pool of good resources as well. My family is full of engineers of various discipline; Civil, Mechanical, Electric, Chemical, etc.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

glad to hear a happy story. same boat here. today i have to finish fixing the float on my garden tarctor so I'll be able to mow my 1.5 acre plot, yet another thing you don't think about when renting.

also, stop by the local library, pick up some books on the subjects so you CAN work on (the panel, the water service, a patio door.) and you'll see why contractors charge so much, why they rush things(paid by the hour!) and how to do quality work yourself.

Reply to
Tater

you must be newly married or engaged. give it a few years and it will be tough to get you to cut grass let alone fix mower.....

I am only half joking:)

Reply to
hallerb

Well speaking as a mechanical engineer almost PE certified, engineers can be the worst people to talk to about fixing things. Engineering training emphasizes practical knowledge to back the theory, but somehow I think the reality gets lost in the translation. Too often we don't see the consequences of our work in action and as a result we lose practical knowledge so that even a GED plumber or electrican can run circles around us.

I can tell you all about fluid mechanics and why galvanized pipes suck - but I still need a plumber to tell me what will happen when I disconnect the pipes. Mainly because until I've done it once, I'm not willing to risk my house testing to see how accurate the theory is.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Oh man, last time I talked to someone about replacing my patio door the answer I got was that it had better be level when installed or you'll be in a world of hurt. That flashing had better be perfect, the whole thing had better be just right or you can kiss your floor goodbye to water damage.

As for the panel, there aren't many places in the house that can kill you in an instant of mistake, and there aren't many places that can be a source for so many lethal hazards in the home.

It just doesn't sound like it's worth it to me.

Reply to
Eigenvector

-you must be newly married or engaged. give it a few years and it will

-be tough to get you to cut grass let alone fix mower.....

-I am only half joking:)

I don't own a TV, so I can't turn into a couch potato. And I happen to LIKE mowing the lawn - even if my front yard does resemble an off-road race course. Now as for cleaning, that's what the women-folk are for, now is it still legal to prevent them from wearing shoes?

Reply to
Eigenvector

A fellow I know said, he cut his grass down to the roots; shortest possible. Why? He could go hunting and fishing.

My mower burped today, so I'm certain it needs attention.

-- Oren

Oren

Now as for cleaning, that's what the women-folk are for, now is it

In my state not only can't you prevent them form wearing shoes, but you can't even sue them for specific performance.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I thought this was aimed at me :)

anyway, SWMBO likes to mow lawn, says it is great exercise.

hence i bought myself a rider.........

Reply to
Tater

I prefer females in Stilettoes:)