old microwave

I have an old microwave it smells of burning like a transformer smells when going bad. Am I safe letting it die or can it erupt into a fire, its at the folks house , they do not smell well, so if it a fire hazard I will just junk it.
m Ransley wrote:

Not a good sign.

Unless it's really important to keep that particular one (built- in?) then by all means, get it the hell out of there. WalMart, Target, Home Depot, Best Buy -- all have new ones for $50 - 70 every day of the year. A small price to pay for peace of mind, don't you think?
--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.

Get a new one. They're cheap. A lot cheaper than replacing a burned-out kitchen. Pat
Patscga wrote:

Not only are they cheap, but for the most part they are lighter, larger inside and smaller outside, more efficient and easier to use.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
I doubt it will burn the house down but it might smoke up the place a might.

If the HV transformer is still made it is an fairly easy replacement once you get the thing off the wall and apart. But for your time, and money I would look for an coming sale and buy an new one and install it.
m Ransley wrote:

As with food - "When in doubt, throw it out!" Eric

often microwave ovens become receptacles for dead insects (roaches, etc.) on the inside of the oven, not the inside you put the food in, the other inside (not supposed to be accessed by the consumer)
most microwaves are never cleaned in this area
what if the smell is overly cooked roaches?
sounds like time for smell remediation by an expert, or a new microwave
in any event, since it smells, don't use it
041203 2109 - effi posted:

Also, if you do open it up to work on it, be very careful of the large capacitor. It will hold a charge that can kill you if not properly discharged, regardless whether or not the unit is unplugged.
An older fellow I knew was working on his microwave and came across this capacitor and got such an electrical shock that he had a heart attack and died.