Old Ice in Ice Maker Bin

Is there a question here?

If the question is "how to avoid this", I guess "use more ice". Adding a box of baking soda to the freezer (and replacing it regularly) will help, too.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

Greetings,

Depending on the ice dispenser you might be able to trick it into thinking the bin is full when it is only partially full. This way you will go through the ice more quickly and it will have less time to stinker.

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William.Deans

four word solution:

tupperware covered ice trays

Reply to
San Francisco

I just dumped my refrigerator Ice Bin into the sink. I'm tired of getting old Ice from my ice dispenser. After a week or so the ice picks up an 'old ice' smell or taste. I have it triple filtered so I don't think that is the problem.

Reply to
Sherman

Richard J Kinch

It may need more than just filtering. A filter will remove rust, most bad taste, certain other organics that can be found in water, but thee may be some other factor getting past. Have you ever had the water tested? You may be high in a particular mineral, or sulfur, or something that is causing the odor in time.

Ice will absorb other odors. You may not notice that garlic or old gunk under the trays but it may be getting absorbed in the ice.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You would think that the freezer manufacturers would try to sell us charcoal air filters to combat smells but they just leave it up to good old baking soda.

The smells are probably coming from air recirculated from the fridge compartment. Aside from keeping the fridge clean, you could also make sure to cover all foods airtite, this will help reduce transferred oders as well.

Reply to
PipeDown

sometimes the system gets shot and the whole watering system needs to be replaced.

Go grab a bag of ice and open it and let it sit in there for a few days. If it does not start to smell like the other ice, you know there is an issue with your water, or hardware being contaminated...

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

I've solved it by turning off the icemaker periodically. I always have clean non-odorous ice now. We are happy with the results.

Reply to
Sherman

Nice. I always wanted an option to reduce the rate of ice creation since we dont consume that much. No such luck though. I wonder if there is a specific food that contributes to fast ice corruption!?

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert