Old house with gas furnace but no filter question

A friend of mine just moved into a small older house. It has a small forced air gas furnace (Carrier brand), that I'm sure was retrofitted at some point. For the life of me, I can't find a furnace filter. Did they not use air filters in the old days? I just want to make sure this isn't a critical component.

Reply to
Bob D.

They don't necessarily come with the furnace. I didn't have a filter in my house either when I moved in. Had a Honeywell electrostatic added when the A/C was installed (SWMBO is a clean freak, insisted on either that or HEPA.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The filter is probably supposed to go inside the lower part of the furnace.

Filters are pretty important.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

If the house only has one large cold air return it may be in there and nowhere near the furnace.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

Old Lennox furnaces had cradle like basket in the lower compartment (under the burners), which used filter material that came on a roll. You wrap the filter material around the basket.

RichK

Reply to
RichK