old house granite under brick chimney?

Hey everyone.

I'm looking at buying an old house (200 years old) with a center chimney.

In the granite block basement, the chimney is built on top of a stack of granite blocks. My first reaction is that the whole thing is rediculous, and that no way is this adequate. After asking around, seems this is not uncommon in old houses. It's been fine for 200 years right?

Anyone see this before? The chimney looks to be sound, and the home inspector thinks it is fine. Could this have any advantages, other than saving costs on bricks when granite was cheap and plentiful?

See picture here:

Thanks for any input.

Reply to
John

Does the inspector have good liability insurance?

Reply to
toller

If it bothers you, maybe form around and fill with concrete ???

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Those pictures would make me look further for a residence. But I am not in love with older homes. I grew up in old homes and the issues that they had. I want none of that for me.

Reply to
SQLit

Well, it certanly looks scary, but consider: the damn thing has stood that way for twenty decades. If it was going to fall over, it would have.

John

Reply to
raven

It is worth asking whether or not it has been that way for twenty decades. Old houses get worked on repaired, changed. I'd search for history of the house. It would be worth having an engineer with background in old buildings look at it. AND contrary to the suggestion to add concrete, I would suggest you work with the historic fabric. Anyone not willing to work with the givens of historic structures should find a new structure.

TB

Reply to
Tom Baker