old house granite under brick chimney?

Hey everyone.
I'm looking at buying an old house (200 years old) with a center chimney.
In the granite block basement, the chimney is built on top of a stack of granite blocks. My first reaction is that the whole thing is rediculous, and that no way is this adequate. After asking around, seems this is not uncommon in old houses. It's been fine for 200 years right?
Anyone see this before? The chimney looks to be sound, and the home inspector thinks it is fine. Could this have any advantages, other than saving costs on bricks when granite was cheap and plentiful?
See picture here:
http://www.fongemie.com/1.jpg
http://www.fongemie.com/2.jpg
Thanks for any input.
Does the inspector have good liability insurance?

and
If it bothers you, maybe form around and fill with concrete ???
--

SVL

and
Those pictures would make me look further for a residence. But I am not in love with older homes. I grew up in old homes and the issues that they had. I want none of that for me.

<snip>
Well, it certanly looks scary, but consider: the damn thing has stood that way for twenty decades. If it was going to fall over, it would have.
John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Ask me about joining the NRA.
snipped-for-privacy@westnet.poe.com wrote in message wrote:

It is worth asking whether or not it has been that way for twenty decades. Old houses get worked on repaired, changed. I'd search for history of the house. It would be worth having an engineer with background in old buildings look at it. AND contrary to the suggestion to add concrete, I would suggest you work with the historic fabric. Anyone not willing to work with the givens of historic structures should find a new structure.
TB