Old Hoover upright vac

Re: Old Hoover upright vac
'owdy,
For years I've run a Hoover upright vac (Model 33, 625 w.) in my home, mostly on wall-to-wall rugs. Still works fine.
Recently I've inherited a very similar Hoover (Model U4189 4.3 amp) that needed a little work. I'm trying to use it in my little workshop in the basement.
So I'm working on a wood project, and when I try to vac sawdust/shavings from the tile floor with the U4189, it picks up about half of 'em, and blows the other half off to the side. My model 33 sucks it -all- up just fine.
The two uprights *look* nearly identical. Use the same belt but a different collection bag. I've examined the U4189 pretty closely but didn't find anything obviously wrong with it.
Anybody got a feel for why the U4189 blows air out the side of the vacuum path? How to fix?
Also, does anyone know how to get to the lower motor bearing to lube it?
Thanks, Puddin'

Is it the exaust that pushing the other half away? If so divert it some how.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

hoover is cheap junk. its the best i have found to use though. the belt has nothing to do with suction, the fan does. those cheap fans tend to wear out and get broken by pennies and other hard things sucked into the device. inspect the fan and see how it looks. if its shot, trash the thing and buy a new one...you can get parts on hoovers website but its tough to find the exact one you want since they got so many frikin model numbers for the same thing its insane.
--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 16:56:42 -0400, "CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert"

If its the best you've found, I'm not certain why you'd call 'em cheap junk. Near as I can tell the old uprights were "cost-effective".

Thanks. I'll take a hard look at the fan blades.

It's probably the spinning brushes that are throwing things off to the side. If you're only vacuuming a tile floor, remove the belt and brush assembly if the vacuum doesn't have a "hard floor" setting that takes the brush out of play. I doubt the motor bearing is designed to be lubed. Tom.

I removed the belt and brush assembly: same thing.
Examined the fan blades from the bottom: no sign of broken fins.

I managed to grease the top bearing. And it helped.
1.) None of 'em are "designed to be lubed". 2.) All of 'em need lube sooner or later.
Cheers, Puddin'