Old glazing? ? ?

Trying to raise painted-shut windows, I broke out a pane.
The old glazing is really hard -- rocklike. Is there anything, like paint-remover, that will loosen it enough to clean it out?
Ray Jenkins wrote:

I suggest starting by using a hair dryer on it. Warming it up helps.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Would suggest a heat gun. Hair dryers will not provide enough heat.
PJ